Chapter 12

The next morning was a Thursday. And, as usual, I dragged myself out of bed and tightened my corset. Not being able to take a shower was killing me. And this "shower-in-a-can" stuff had to be the grossest thing I'd ever done.

I coughed and wove the smell out of the air.

"Why do you use that stuff anyway?" Cameron asked as he slipped on a shirt. The dormetory was pretty much empty, except for a few slow pokes.

"Don't you have to be in practice in like 30 seconds?" I asked.

"You avoided my question. Why don't you ever take showers man? That's just gross," he nudged me and grinned.

"I have issues," I chuckled, "I don't feel comfortable showering in public."

"Oh, so you're one of those sissies, huh?" He laughed and gave me a nuggy.

I shoved him away and blushed, straightening out my wig, "no!"

Cameron headed off to practice, leaving me with a lasting impression and a racing heart.

The dinner bell rang and I rushed to the mess hall. For some reason, serving drinks all day really made me hungry. So I took my tray of mashed potatoes and a large helping of veggies.

"Billy!" I lit up and scooched up beside him. I noticed a huge goose egg on the side of his face, "ouch, what happened there?"

He sipped on some water, "some guy threw the football right at me!"

"Oh, well don't worry about him. Probably some jerk looking for attention," I assured him, remembering Byron Bosniac.

"Hey fellas, mind if I join?" someone asked.

I didn't have to see his face for my pulse to begin a marathon, I scooched over and flashed him an overbearing grin, "please."

"Oh, Billy, my man," Cameron bit down on his lip and shook his head, "listen, I'm really sorry about that. I'll make up for it, kay? You can have a throw at me if you want."

My brows rose, it was Cameron?

Billy shook his head and tried to toughen up, "no, I'll be fine."

Cameron went on, "I really am sorry.. I didn't mean to. If you feel dizzy or anything maybe you should-"

"I'm fine," Billy replied

The table was quiet. Except for Jason Brent and Kyle Brawn flicking mashed potatoes at eachother on the other end.

I scooped a tiny spoon of cut-up green beans into my mouth.

Cameron stared at my tray, longing, "you gonna eat that?"

I rose my brows and dropped my jaw, "did you... how did you... where did all your food go?! You just got here!"

I looked around and all the other guys' trays were empty too. Wow.. guys do eat a lot.

I shoved my plate of potatoes over to him and he took a scoop.

Later that night, Cameron and I were out in the field again practicing.

"Now hit me!"

I frowned, "what?"

He chuckled and began to sing, "you heard me.. hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaay!"

I laughed but shook my head, "I can't take you down. C'mon, don't be unreasonable."

"Just try," he said.

I frowned but finally yielded, "okay.. just don't go easy on me."

He rocked his head to the side and lifted up his shirt, revealing a rocky display of abdomins.