Chapter 34

Amped up. That is how I felt the morning I woke up for school. I, of course, had taken a shower last night, considering the amount of sisters I had and I'd probably be late for first period. I chose my wardrobe carefully and even did my makeup.

Gasp! Yes, I did my makeup (with a little help from Cassidy, of course.)

And so, I stood in front of the full length mirror leaning against our bedroom wall, grimacing at the outfit choice my sisters had picked out for me in the circumstance of 'winning the guy.' I looked completely and utterly foolish, well, according to me, anyway. Lizzie, at first, dressed me up in a slim, body hugging, black dress and a pair of cute flats. But there was no way Stella Morrison would be caught looking like that in public. So, I settled for Cassidy's bright pink halter top and my old pair of blue jeans that were too tight for me.

Billy was my ride to school, and as usual, he was right on time.

"Hey bud," I muttered as I stuffed the remainder of a bagel down my throat.

His brows rose and he looked shocked, "hey... Stella. Wow, you look... uh, different."

I snorted, "you should've seen what Lizzie had me in this morning."

He scratched his head. His afro was about 2 inches now, "so, what's the occasion?"

I shrugged and clipped on my seatbelt, "starting this year with a bang. Like you said, Stella Morrison can win, so I'm gonna show her who's boss."

Billy bit down on his lip and he was about to say something, but I reached across and honked his horn.

"Let's go! School starts in 10 minutes!"

With that, he drove out my driveway and we were on our way to senior year at Clarkston High.

The first day went as any other first day would go. No one would laugh at the teachers' jokes, there would be the usual group of class clowns that would make life difficult for the teacher and practically everyone else in the class, and so on and so forth.

At lunch, after Bio, I went on a hunt for Leah, logic and reason suggested that where ever Cameron was, Leah was probably there too.

Ugh.

"Cameron!" I smiled big and bit down on my lip.

He turned around, standing in the midst of a group of guys.

Yeesh, first day at school and this guy's already on top of the food chain?

"Hey!" he looked surprised, like 'why is Steve's sister so excited to see me when I hardly know her?'

I shoved my way through the guys, ignoring their annoyed glares.

Being at Camp, for two months straight with a bunch of males, has taught me one thing; shyness is not acceptable.

I flipped back my hair and tried to look as alluring as I could.

I batted my lashes, "so, listen, I was just wondering if you wanted to maybe grab a---"

"Cammy!" Leah popped out of nowhere and enveloped him in a hug, she frowned as she noticed all the guys crowded around us, "shoo, boys."

The crowd dispersed and it left just the three of us.

"Oh, Stella," Leah looked me up and down, "you look nice! What's the occasion?"

I shrugged.

"So what are we doing for lunch, Cameron my dear?" Leah went back to being dazed by the boy I was head-over-heels for.

He shrugged too, seeming completely uninterested.

I snickered, remembering the food fight mishap from camp, "what about some cake, Cameron?"

They both looked at me.

He gave me a funny look, then his eyes lit up, like he suddenly recalled what I meant, but then his expression quickly changed to suspicion, "how do you know about that?" 

"Oh, Steve  must have told her!" Leah responded quickly.

Side note; you're not Steve Morner anymore, Stella!

"That was pretty funny though," someone said from behind us.

I nearly jumped out of my skin as Billy laid his chin on my shoulder.

"So, Billy," Cameron winked, with those beautiful eyes of his, "you guys an item?"

"NO!"

"Goodness, NO!"

Billy was taken aback, both by the question and mine and Leah's reactions.

Cameron turned a bit red and grinned crookedly, "sorry guys."

It was quiet for a while, "well, Cam and I should get going before lunch ends."

Billy and I were just silent as we watched them leave.

"Okay, what was that?" Billy asked.

I leaned against the lockers, my brows furrowed, "I know, right? Cam and I should leave.. bla bla bla," I mocked her, "like she owns him or something."

"No," Billy said slowly, "your reaction when he thought you and I were a couple."

"Oh," I raised a brow, "don't worry about it. It was just a rookie mistake, I'm sure anyone else would guess you were dating Leah too, well, if she wasn't already with... you-know-who."

"No," Billy said again, "I mean, what's so wrong with me? Why were you so insulted when he suggested that?"

"Billy... I wasn't... I just--"

"Just what? Am I not the ideal guy, Stella? Am I not good looking enough?"

I stuttered, "B-Billy, you're taking this way too seriously. That's not what I meant."

"Then what did you mean?"

I shook my head, completely flabbergasted, "Billy.. what is going on with you? Why are you being so sensitive?"

"Just answer the question," he replied, harshly.

"You know what I meant!... Billy what are you trying to say here?..."

I trailed off as I put some pieces together, then I eyed him suspiciously.

No.. please no. I loved Billy and he knew that, but not in that way.. GAH!

"Okay," I went on, "well I'm sorry I offended you, but let's get one thing straight here... You and I.. we're just... we're just friends."

He snorted, "don't be so full of yourself, Stella."

Then he walked away.

What was that supposed to mean?! UGH!

"People are so rude, and sensitive, and..." I muttered on angrily to myself as I trudged off to my locker.