Chapter 40

I could not believe all I had just said to Cameron. All those days I had spent just wanting him to notice me, and I ruined it. Whatever 'feelings' he might've had for me surely must be gone now. I was confused on how to feel about him at that point. But one word definitely poked annoyingly at me as I walked off: guilt.

When I got home, my first impulse was to call Billy and just cry over the phone to him. But his brother, Corey, was in town and I doubt the Fisher's would enjoy my disturbance at the moment. So, I just sat there on my bed, thinking; thinking of how angry I was at Leah... and at myself, thinking of how hypocritical I felt, and thinking... of the giant mess I knew I was about to make, but it seemed almost impossible to avoid the inevitable.

The alarm clock shrilled on my bedside table. I woke up with a start, completely unsure of how I ended up falling asleep. 

"Ugh," I groaned. It was only Sunday. Could time drag by any slower? It would be amazing if I could climb in a time machine, fast-forward in life, and forget Senior year completely.

I know it's impossible but hey, can't a girl dream?

"Stella!" Chad called from the doorway, "charge your cell phone, Billy's been trying to reach you all day. And get outta bed, it's already 1 in the afternoon!"

Something landed on my legs with a thud, I figured it was the house phone and I lazily reached for it, "Billy?"

"Hey, stranger," he said over the line, "sorry I had to leave so early yesterday. When I got home I realised I was your ride back," he chuckled, "sorry about that. So how'd you manage to get home?"

I rolled my eyes and took a deep breath, "just meet me at Lina's. I have a lot to tell you."

I trudged out of bed, threw on a baggy hoody and a faded pair of jeans, then ran out the door to meet Billy.

The bell above Lina's Cafe dinged as I entered. He was sitting at a table with two coffees. I slumped into the chair and sipped joyously on a cup of caffein.

"You okay there, sport?" he grinned at me, "you look like you got out of the wrong side of bed."

I chortled, "you could say that."

"So what's up?" he asked, blowing on his coffee.

I raised my head lazily and blew my hair out of my face, "you mean besides the fact that Leah is a complete traitor? Not much."

Billy raised a brow, looking curiously amused, "care to explain?"

And so, I did. I began from the very beginning, to the very end of that awesome Saturday. Billy nodded in comprehension. Although, I did leave one major piece of the puzzle out; the kiss.

"Something's just not fitting here," Billy analysed, "I don't understand why you would freak out at Cameron for nothing. The poor guy doesn't even know how you feel about him..."

I rubbed my temples and took a sip of my coffee. Averting eye contact, I pretended to be suddenly very interested in a carving on our table.

Billy raised a brow, "what aren't you telling me, Stella?"

I bit down on my lip, "it's really not that important."

Okay, so I don't understand why I felt like keeping this a secret from him... we were best friends, after all. But I just thought maybe it was the wrong move.

"Stella," he spoke strictly, "tell me."

I slumped down deeper into my chair and swirled the contents of my cup, "so, how's Corey liking being back home?"