Chapter 36

"If Stella's your twin sister, why do you guys have different last names?"

The table went silent.

 "May I take your order?" The waitress asked, obviously noting the tension at the table.

"You know," I gulped, "suddenly I'm not that hungry anymore. I actually think Billy and I should get going?"

"What?" Cameron, Billy, and the waitress all asked simultaneously.

I scooched out of the booth and pulled Billy along with me.

I retreated hastily, disregarding Cameron's confused calls.

"I think there's something about you and running out of restaurants," Billy addressed me as he sped back down the highway.

I leaned my head against the dashboard, "I think there's something about me and not thinking plans through all the way."

Billy snorted, "what did I tell you, Stella? Playing with fire."

For the next few weeks, it was a mutual decision between Billy and I to kill off Steve for a while. The close call at The Keg Steakhouse put us both on edge. However, that did not mean giving up. Throughout September, I tried my best (being Stella) to get as close to Cameron as I could. I mean, how hard could it be? My charm won Steve over as Cameron's bestfriend, so why couldn't it win him over now, as me being me? I will admit, it did take a while to get Cameron to be comfortable around me, but after that, he started to warm up to the idea of us being friends.

"Nice shot!" Billy teased as I aimed for the 8 pins. The bowling ball wobbled and clunked into the gutter.

I sneered.

Billy, Cameron, Leah and I had decided to all do something together one Saturday afternoon. I suggested bowling because A) it was a famous American pass time, and B) Leah, Billy and I used to bowl all the time in 6th grade. I decided maybe it was time to put away my jealousy for a bit, and just hang out.

"I'd like to see you do better," Cameron patted Billy on the back and handed him the ball. Game point, it's you and me now, bud. Leah's lost a while a go, and Stella's out."

We all looked over at Leah who was frantically scrolling through her iPhone like her life depended on it. She stood up, stretched then declared, "guy's I've gotta get going. Anette's here to pick me up. This is sweet, but the dance is this Friday and being the leader of the committee and all..."

I rolled my eyes, "yeah, yeah."

Leah nudged me playfully, "come here, squirt." She embraced me and Billy, then kissed Cameron.

My face turned red. Despite the immense amount of time I've spent around these two, I still can't get over it. No matter how much I've tried. I've learned to cope, but I've come to realise that at any show of affection between the two of them, my heart shatters just a little bit more.

"Bye, babe," Cameron waved.

We watched her exit in her 6 inch heels.

I know; who wears heels to bowl? Leah, of course, denied the bowling shoes they had offered her, stating that they were "terrifying and a heinous crime to fashion."

After Billy threw a brilliant gutterball, he glanced down at his watch, "guys I really gotta get going, too. My brother's coming into town today and my parents want me to be home before he is. I'll see you later!"

"Oh, sweet, tell Corey I said hi!" I waved.

It wasn't until Billy escaped out the doors that I realised...

I smacked a head to my forehead.

"What?" Cameron asked.

I sighed, "he was my ride home."

I really couldn't blame my parents for not getting me a car. They were still trying to buy Bradley a car, and with 14 kids, I dare not put pressure on them. I never really was spoiled and didn't think much of material things. But in situations like these, a girl could wish. 

And then I went red, because I realised... Cameron DiMarco and I were alone.

Alone? With Cameron? Impossible! Usually Billy would be tagging along to make sure I didn't do anything stupid.

He smiled, threw his jacket over his shoulder, and patted me on the back, "don't worry about it. I got you."

I blushed profusely.

I noticed him staring down at me, he chuckled.

Turning away from him, I undid my bowling shoes, put my original pair on, and retreated after him.

"Sorry to bother you," I bit down on my lip as he turned on the ignition and backed out of the bowling depot.

He smiled, "Stella, don't worry about it. A sister of Steve's is a friend of mine," he winked.

Right... Steve.

Although I'd made it a purpose not to bring Steve back for weeks on end, Cameron still never forgot about him. I guess male bonding was stronger than I thought.

The ride was quiet and a bit awkward. I figured he felt the tension, so he switched on the radio and a song blasted through the speakers in his truck.

"I love this song!" I shrieked.

"Hmm, it's not that bad!" Cameron smirked, and then in a very tone-deff, cat-dying, and pubescant-type voice, he began to sing along, "NEVER MIND I'LL FIND, SOMEONE LIKE YOOOUUUU! I WISH NOTHING BUT THE BEST FOR YOU, TOO! DON'T FORGET ME, I BEG!"

I burst out laughing and shoved him lightly on the shoulder, "stop it!" I screamed between heaves of laughter, "stop singing! You'll make my ears bleed!"

He combed his fingers through his ashy brown hair, the sun glinting off his face and for the first time ever, I saw him actually smiling... like for real, smiling and having fun.

He grabbed his phone and belted into it, pretending it was a microphone. I grabbed the phone from him.

"You're gonna get pulled over," I teased as I turned down the radio.

He chortled, "then maybe I'll sing my way out?"

I gave him a horrified look and he smiled back.

"Hey..." I raised a brow as he passed the exit that lead to my house, "where are we going?"

"Your brother told me you're good at football, right?"

I was tongue-tied, "uh, I, uh... wait."

"Well, then we'll play some football!"

I smiled like crazy, "really?!"

He nodded stoically, "would I lie?"

Cameron pulled into the school parking lot. I gave him a seriously dangerous look.

He flashed me a smile, revealing a row of bright, straight teeth.

"What are we doing here?"

He chuckled, "relax, Morrison. We're just using the football field, we're not breaking in or anything."

I swallowed, "good, because I've got a rep to uphold."

He grabbed the ball from his trunk and we were headed down the field.

"And what rep is that?"

"Oh, you know," I raised a brow, "straight A's, but a dangerously awesome girl in disguise."

"Really?" he propped an elbow on my shoulder as we walked.

Eeek!

"Well let's see this arm of yours, Miss. Dangerously Awesome."