Chapter 18

We had finally hit the one month mark. Just another one left to summer. Okay, so maybe I wasted 2 weeks as the waterboy, and one doing nasty chores all because of a stupid prank. But atleast I wasn't wasting away my summer in Omaha sitting on my grandparent's porch changing diapers all day. And yes, I will admit that I did miss my family... but what was even harder to admit? I missed Leah just as much. But was that so wrong? Billy seemed to portray it as a crime to miss our bestfriend.

"Drop the phone," Billy warned as I hid behind a tree.

"Gah!" I screamed, "what are you doing scaring me like that?"

He grinned and leaned against the trunk, "what are you doing dialing Leah's number when I told you to let her call you first?"

I shook my head, "Billy, you're acting like she's the bad guy here, she's not. I mean, it's not her fault she's... well.."

He motioned his hand in a 'go-on' gesture, "say it."

"Popular," I finished.

I sighed and slipped off the wig, letting my hair breath. My dark locks whipped in my face and I had taken my corset off ealier. It felt good just to be.. well, me again.

Billy let out a raspy breath, "look, to be honest, I miss her just as much as you do. But I realized something I didn't want to realize for the past few years.. Leah just doesn't seem like she needs us anymore. Haven't you noticed that it's always us chasing her around trying to get our bestfriend to sit with us at school? And even when we do get her, we always seem like her little followers."

I shielded my ears, remembering our sleepovers and the nights she spent with me on the phone helping me study. Even when mom had just given birth to the twins Dawson and Tammy and every other person in my house had some excuse not to help, Leah rushed right over with a bag of diapers and a huge box of baby food. But then I remembered the time I had a huge crush on Don Borman, and she knew about it too. But she went right ahead and made him her next boyfriend. And also when I was freaking out because my baby brother Ronny had a high fever one time when I was babysitting, she told me to give him an advil then hung up.

I stood, my hair dancing gently in the quiet breeze. I was torn, and I hated feeling so unsure about something so vital. I looked at Billy, but regardless, I flipped out my phone and began dialing.

Billy sighed, "Stella, c'mon.."

I shook my head and walked away towards the open field. My wig in hand.

"Hello?" someone said over the line.

I sighed a breath of relief, so content to hear that voice, "it's me, Stella."

"Stella? How are you!? How's the football camp. Did anyone hurt you there?! If they did, just give me 10 hours and I can be there to hurl them in a world o' pain!"

I laughed, "Bradley, calm down! I'm doing okay. It's not too bad here. How's my big brother doing in Omaha?"

His voice was tinted with humour, "I'm doing okay. But I'm not so sure about you."

"Huh?"

Bradley Morrison coughed then laughed, "Mylo, Anthony, and Melinda figured out someone was missing. But don't worry about them. I paid them off to keep their mouths shut."

I sighed in relief, "thank you so much! And what about Chad? He hasn't noticed his football stuff is gone?"

He was quiet for a while, "oh yeah, I paid him off too. $200 actually. Stella, you owe me a lot when you get back."

"Yes, yes. I know, and I will. Thank you so much Bradley, I love you! And tell Jamie I said happy 22nd birthday!"

"Alright," he said over the line, "love you too, squirt. Bye!"

I slapped the phone shut and just layed in the field. Coach Henry would be looking for me pretty soon to get back to my chores, but for now, I would just lay here and embrace life.