Chapter 29

Mrs. Fisher dropped me off bright and early at home. Of course, she had no idea of our plan for the summer and how my family was just getting back from Omaha today. So truthfully, I was expecting her to be shocked at why my house was empty. But we arrived just at the nick of time, because I noticed little Mylo dragging in a suitcase through the uncooperative door.

"Thanks Mrs. Fisher!" I bolted out the car, lugging my baggage with me.

Mylo was the first Morrison I'd seen all summer, so I grabbed him in my arms and hugged him as tight as I could.

"Aaah!" he squirmed in the uncomfortable embrace, "what are you--" he paused mid-sentenced and had a good look at me, "..hold up. Stella... where on Earth have you been?!!"

I winked at him, did a little hush sign, and ruffled up his hair before stepping over him into the house.

"Mom? Dad?!" I had the biggest smile on my face, it was so wide that I felt like someone had stuffed a banana in my mouth and I couldn't force it out. I guess I hadn't realised how much I missed my family until now, "Cassidy? Lizzy? Melinda, Jamie, Kelsey, Chad, Anthony... Bradley?"

The whole house was once more a ruckus, livened with the crying of baby twins Dawson and Tammy. I noticed Emily over by the grand piano, shrieking and running around happily, her eyes lit up and she giggled playfully, and I knew how she felt, so good to be home. Little Ronny crawled up to me and looked at me, wide-eyed, as if I looked familiar, then he clung to my leg and refused to let go, so I picked him up and continued my search.

"Hello?!" I repeated.

Where on Earth is everyone?!..

"Stella!!" I was blind sided by my mom, booking it to me, her eyes over flowing with tears as she wrapped her arms around me, "oh my baby! Where on Earth have you been?!!"

Dad came running in, not too long after. He sighed a deep breath of relief and leaned against the wall, "Stella you have sooo much explaining to do young lady."

I laughed, "Dad, it's alright," I kissed Ronny on the cheek and set him down, he still clung to my leg, "I can explain."

"Yea?!" Jamie came running into the corridor to meet us, "well then it better be a darn good explanation, do you know how worried we were?!"

Lizzy strolled in not long after, "and you better be ready to explain it twice. The police are on their way."

"You called the cops?!"

"We had to!" my mother yelled, "when we realised you weren't on the plane back home, we thought we left you at Gran and Gramps house, but you weren't there!"

"And somehow Bradley managed to persuade us not to call the police there. And thank God you're at home, sweety!" Dad added as he hugged me tight.

The room went silent, except for Emily's giggling in the distance and Dawson's crying.

"We're waiting," Jamie pressed.

"So," I mused, "you never noticed I wasn't in Omaha with you? Ha! Goes to show how much I'm worth in this family!" I joked around.

"Oh don't you pull that card," Lizzy was too smart. She used that excuse all the time when she was my age, "you're gonna tell us where you were and why."

"It's complicated, really," I tried to convince them.

"We've got nothing but time."

I raised a brow. Time; that was my ticket to getting out of this mess.

"Hey Liz, aren't you supposed to be calling your agent? I mean I'm sure you're kinda behind on the pageants and stuff. And Jamie, now that you're 22, don't you want to take advantage of that? I mean.. the world is completely open to you now. Oh and Dad," I shot him an innocent grin, "nice white tie. It matches with all the paperwork that's probably stacked up on your desk right now at the office. Oh and my dear mother," I paused for effect and sniffed the air, I picked up Ronny, who clung to my legs and sniffed his bum, "whew! Oh mom, I think Ronny needs a change of diapers. And Dawson and Emily and Tammy too, probably."

I raised a brow and just relaxed and let the magic work. They all gave eachother a frantic look.

"Don't think you're out of this just yet, young lady!" Dad said as he considered my explanation, and in less than a minute, he was out the door on his way to work.

Everyone dispersed in a frantic hurry, mom, taking Ronny with her.

I ran up the stairs and tapped on the boys' room.

Bradley opened up with a half eaten sandwich lingering out of his mouth.

"Brad!" I enveloped him in the tightest hug ever, "oh I missed you so so so much!"

He laughed, "sorry about the mess. Everyone started freaking out after they noticed you weren't there. I couldn't pay them all to keep their mouths shut."

He kissed me on top of my head. Behind him I noticed Chad. I ran to him, and dropped his football gear on his bunk.

I gave him an innocent 'you-can't-be-mad-at-this-face' look. He laughed, "you're the bravest kid I know, Stell." He offered me a half-hug.

Then, with no later adue, I was out and to my room upstairs. Everyone was busy unpacking. Of course, there had been those that knew where I was all along, but Bradley had to pay them to keep their mouths shut. Obviously Cassidy, Melinda, and Anthony were among them. So I didn't take to offence the nonchalant, "hey twirp," Cassidy threw my way.

But I couldn't help but feel burdened with guilt as my little sister, Kelsey, sat outside our door, crying her eyes out.

"Kels?" I looked down at the little 12 year old, "what are you up to there, bud? What's wrong?"

She sniffed, mucus running down her nose and her cheeks soaked wet, "how can you do that Stella? How can you not tell us where you are?! I thought you died! I thought someone kidnapped you! I thought--"

"Hey, hey," I smiled and bent down to her level, "Kels, I'm right here. Nothing got me. I'm okay."

She hugged me tight and I kissed my sister on the head.

"Promise not to do that again? Ever in your life?"

I wiped the tears from her eyes, "I promise."

"Good," she said affirmitively and she frowned, obviously embarrassed that she was crying so hard. She held up her 'grown-up' poise, and walked down the corridor to her room.

I returned everyone's belongings that I borrowed to their respective places. Then I jumped on my bed, sprawled across and enjoying the sweet smell of laundry detergent between the sheets. I couldn't even begin to explain how satisfying it was to lay in my own bed after 2 months, with none other than family around me...

...And the sirens racing down my street and stopping at my door just had to ruin it.

I groaned.

Melinda laughed in the distance, "don't worry Stell, Cassidy and I will take care of it."