Chapter 32

"So, you're here in Portland for senior year, right?" Billy asked Cameron, trying desperately to change the topic.

"Yea, you got it."

Leah bit down on her lip and squeezed his hand tight, "and guess who's coming to Clarkston High with us?!"

Well, it's a good thing I told Cameron that Steve goes to a different school back at camp.

"Cameron?" I 'guessed'.

"Yeah," Leah smirked, "how'd you know?"

Well, for one, it's not that hard to guess, considering the two of them are obviously so inseparable that it makes me sick to my stomach, and two, he told me at Camp... well, okay, he told Steve.

"Wild guess," I replied.

Billy offered me worried glances every now and then, just to make sure my tanned skin wasn't turning pale white from all this shock at once.

"So," I firmly grasped a cup of coffee in my hands and downed the remaining contents, scorching my throat in the process, but nevertheless, getting the kick from the caffeine that I seriously needed, "how did you guys meet?"

Leah giggled, "Okay, so Sarah Hamilton was throwing this rad party one weekend, and him and Sarah are apparently cousins, right? So I saw him kinda being mauled by a bunch of girls so I went in and....."

Bla, bla, bla, bla. I did not give the slightest crud. All I knew is that my supposed best friend was sitting across the table from me, holding hands with the guy I was (and still am) crazy about. I would be kind of mad at him too, for being such a jerk I mean, but in all fairness and according to him, this is the first time we've met.

Then suddenly a rage began to boil within me, a rage that I had somehow managed to hold off for this long. How could she do this to me? How could my best friend betray me like this? Out of all the men that are falling at her feet, she has to drool over the one that I like.This happened before with Don Borman, why would she do this to me again?

She went on and on about how they met when I truly already knew. So, there I sat as poor, pathetic little Stella Morrison with her bright green eyes, sun soaked skin, and ears that stuck out; sitting there in my sweats and soggy hair feeling like a defeated Silverback gorilla who just lost claim over his territory and the pride of an alpha.

I could scream at her, I could tell her to stop talking and that I couldn't care less, I could jump across the table and unleash the inner Silverback that claimed for her territoy back, or, I could just sit there, defeated and staring, point blank, in the eyes of the man I liked so much.

I stood, and Leah stopped talking, then I simply walked out the doors.