Chapter 31

"Stella, Billy," Leah grinned, "this is my boyfriend, Cameron DiMarco."

My jaw dropped and I had to force myself to breathe and keep from having a panic attack.

She's the girl he's been talking about all this time?!

My emotions were like a laundry cycle clashing against each other. At first, it was shock, then more shock, then anger, then sadness, then 'this-can't-be-happening', then disappointment, and then repeat.

The room suddenly felt wobbly and I forced myself to keep calm and steady. I stole a glance at Billy and realised my friend was some sort of remote control that could just switch his emotions to the next channel; he had gone completely from mortified to indifferent in less than 2 seconds.

I propped my elbows on the table and my eyes blurred with hot tears.

Okay, Stella, pull yourself together, keep it cool.

Then, like an automated machine, I plastered a wide happy smile on my face and looked back up.

"Billy?!" Cameron grinned with that killer smile... ugh, that killer smile!, "Billy, my man! How've you been, dude?!"

"Hey, Cam, I definetely didn't expect to see you this soon," they did a little fist bump, then Cameron slid into the chair next to Leah.

"You guys know each other?" Leah asked, looking perplexed.

"Oh ya!" Cameron answered joyfully, "we met at Camp Anderson. He was in my dorm."

Leah frowned, then gasped, "you guys... went to the same football Camp?"

Billy nodded, "small world."

Obviously I was Miss. Invisible over here. Not like I wanted to be noticed or anything, 'cause that's definitely the last thing that I would want happening.

"Oh!" Leah went on as she put the pieces together, her hands flew over her mouth and she shot me a look, "then that means...!"

I gave her the death glare which meant 'He doesn't know that I am Steve!'

She understood straight away then composed herself, "..that means you guys will be great friends!"

I tried to keep my head down, but I could feel Cameron's eyes zapping through me, like he was burning a hole through my face.

"Hey, what's your name?" He asked, obviously regarding me.

I looked up and cleared my throat, "Stella," my voice was all shaky and my hands as well, "Stella Morrison."

He raised a brow and tilted his head, obviously trying to fit some pieces together, "Stella, do you know a guy named Steve Morner?"

The whole table went silent. It was so quiet, you could hear the blood rushing through my veins in an erratic panic.

"Steve's dead."

The three of us turned and looked at Billy.

What did he just say?!

He gave me a 'well-I-didn't-see-anyone-else-coming-up-with-a-more-brilliant-idea' look then quietly looked down in the contents of his mug, pretending to be interested in his coffee.

"What?" Cameron frowned.

"W-w-what he means is that... uhh," Leah to the rescue, "...Steve Mungle is in very critical condition... at the hospital."

I slapped a hand to my forehead.

You have got to be kidding me.

"What?!" Cameron furrowed his brows, looking even more confused.

He looked cute when he was confused. I forced back the urge to turn red; out of anger, embarrassment, and unwanted affection.

Stop it, Stella! Focus!

"What they mean is, Steve MORNER," I shot Leah a dangerous look, "is in the hospital... visiting his sick aunt.. who quite possibly may be dying of terminal cancer."

I felt my gut rench, okay, so all three of us sucked at lying.

Cameron raised his brows, not knowing what to say, "and how do you know Steve?"

The table went dead silent again.

I quickly shot Leah a warning glare, not to say anything stupid... or better yet, not to say anything at all.

"He's her twin brother."

Again, we all turned to look at Billy.

No, no, no, no! Shoot me, now!

"B-Billy!" I stared at him, wide-eyed.

This isn't happening.

Cameron studied me carefully, "Well, you guys seriously look identical. And now that I think about it, Steve did mention something about a Stella. But I didn't know he had a twin... man, how many secrets is that guy hiding from me? I mean, I told him everything about me. We're tight, like best buds."

Leah Bromwell gazed at me from across the table, her blue eyes penetrating through me.

I just let out an exasperated sigh, sunk deep into my seat, and gave her an 'i'll-explain-everything-later' look.

I felt like I was on the verge of insanity. My genius best friends had stuck me in a mess I could not get out of. Eventually, Steve's going to be back from his visit to our dying aunt, and I'm the one that's going to suffer for it when he does. And to top it off, my heart was still shattered and kicked to rot at the bottom of my stomach as I watched the man I love intertwine his fingers with my best friend. Best friend... that's also something I had to reconsider. It was like my life had just been flipped over like a crumbling pancake in a burning skillet. I'm pretty sure this would all hit me like a brick wall sooner or later, but for now, I'd have to endure it and keep my butt glued to that chair.