Fish Out of Water - Nightwing x Reader

You are a new team member fresh from Atlantis. This being your first time spending an extended amount of time on the surface world, you soon begin feeling like a real fish out of water. Nightwing x Reader

It had always been your dream to visit the surface world. Ever since you were just a small child you always look up and wonder what it was like to breathe in a gust of wind or walk along the surface's shoreline. You had always been dissuaded and told that the surface world was no place for an Atlantean.

Eventually there came a time when you had to push aside your childlike wonder and resign yourself to be content with looking up and wondering in silence. You tried your best to keep mind focused on your reality. You are the child of two native Atlanteans. Your father is an middle rung government official and your mother a talented combat sorceress that serves as one of many of King Orin's guards. They both wanted you to follow in their footsteps. Your father had dreams of you becoming tactful diplomat, your mother wanted you to join the conservatory and become a master of the ocean. You quickly learned that you did not have what it takes to charm people like your father, but you did have an affinity for controlling the water.

You were quickly put into the conservatory and made your way up through the ranks, mastering many skills, and absorbing all the information that you can from your teachers. As you grew into your teenage years you starting to take after your mother in another way: you loved the rush that fighting gave you. Under the advisement of your teachers you continued to specialize and hone your skills in the combat arts. Many said that you were well on your way to becoming a personal guard for the royal family once you graduate. About a year ago you were placed in a specialized program with the best of the best of the conservatory and were given the opportunity to fight and train by Queen Mera's side.

You flourished under the Queen's instruction and you enjoyed all of the things you learned under her instruction. But inevitably you found yourself looking up again towards the surface world. King Orin was making attempts to bring Atlantis and the surface world closer together, he fights side by side with surfacer heroes and even his young apprentice Kaldur'ahm spends the majority of his time on the surface. You can't help but to look at their examples and want just a taste of what they have.

Queen Mera notices your longing gazes and your advanced talents and by some miracle she recommends to King Orin that you be sent to the surface to put your abilities to use alongside the Aqualad. You could not contain your excitement when you found out that you would be going to the surface.

You grinned ear to ear and wrapped Queen Mera in a tight embrace.

"Oh thank you my queen! I will not let you or the king down." You beamed up at her.

"Make Atlantis proud, dear child. You represent our people more than you can possibly imagine." The Queen said regally with tangible pride in her voice.

In the following weeks preparations were made for your departure to the surface. You were given final trainings by the royal couple to help you transition to surface living but that would not prepare nearly enough for the world that you are about to dive into.

When the day finally comes for the king to escort you through the zeta tube to the surface world you are practically bursting with excitement. Your mind is running wild on what you imagine it might be like up there. The land, the food, the people, you were ready for all of it.

You expected your first sight of this new world to be fresh and exciting. Perhaps you would appear on a beach or a forest somewhere (the very thought of a forest sounded so foreign). But you never expected to appear from the zeta tube and into a damp, dark, cave. You are quite familiar with sea caves and this did not look much different from that. You also didn't expect for it to feel so empty. You were told that you were going to be a part of a team. So where was everybody?