Happily - Dick Grayson x Reader

Prompt: Do you do requests? If so, can you do one for Dick Grayson based on the song 'Happily' by one direction

You and Dick used to be childhood sweethearts and dated all throughout your teenage years and into your early adult life. The two of you were happy enough for a while until Dick started to dive even deeper into his vigilante life than ever before. Night after consecutive night Dick was always coming home bloodied and injured. He was becoming obsessed with his missions and you couldn't stand to watch him leave night after night, knowing fully well that there was a great possibility that you would never see him again. You tried talking to Dick about this but it always ended in the two of you fighting.

Your relationship was falling apart at the seams.

"God [Y/N]! If it bothers you so much then leave!" Dick shouted. As soon as the words left his lips he regretted them. You set your lips in a determined line as tears streamed freely down your face. You turned away from him and grabbed your coat off of where it was hanging as you stormed towards the door. Dick hurried after you and caught your wrist before you could leave the apartment.

"[Y/N], stop." He commanded. "I - I didn't mean it. Please stay." He pleaded. You shook your head and pulled your hand away from his.

"No, you did. I think we need some space right now. I'm sorry Dick." You said not meeting his gaze. You were afraid if you looked at him you would lose your nerve and never leave. You didn't want to leave but you knew you also couldn't stay. You left without looking back.

You still cared for Dick but you forced yourself to move on and he respected your desires to leave. Dick didn't want end things with you but your leaving made him realize that you deserved someone who could give you a normal life. The two of you talked things through and parted on good terms.

You didn't meet again for some years and when you did it was like you never left. You honestly didn't know what came over you. The two of you bumped into each other on the street and the two of you started to catch up. Catching up led to coffee, coffee led to a shared taxi ride, and against your better judgement that taxi ride led to you falling back into bed with your ex boyfriend. You were on fire when you were with him and his embrace kept you in utter bliss. But eventually reality had to set back in.

As soon as you came down from your blissful high you were overcome with shame and guilt for what you had done.

God, what were you thinking.

Dick pulled you into his arms and started to lavish slow kisses along your shoulder and neck. In another time you would have melted into Dick. You would have returned his touches and kisses eagerly but that wasn't you anymore. At least it wasn't supposed to be.

"I'm still in love you, [Y/N]." Dick whispered against your neck. Your entire body stiffened and you didn't didn't respond or acknowledge that he said anything in the first place. "Please say something." He pleaded his hands moving up to cradle your cheeks in his hands.

"I - I love you too." You replied despondently. A glimmer of hope shined in Dick's eyes at your words but you quickly shot that down. "But ... I have a boyfriend, Dick." You cried remorsefully covering your face with your hands. You couldn't believe how fast you fell for Dick again. You thought you had finally gotten over him. You thought you were over this.

You told yourself that would be the last you were going to see Dick. You told yourself you were going to walk away but you didn't. You always came back and before you knew it you neck deep in an affair with your ex. You hated yourself for it but at the same time you didn't want to stop.

You loved Dick and you wanted to be with him again. He swore that he had changed and you believed him. He took off nights from patrol with you, he remained open with you about his work and his life. He was putting in an effort to fix what was broken with your relationship in the first place. You wanted so badly just to fall back into a relationship with him, to let it be just you and him forever, but you were consumed with guilt.

You liked your boyfriend but you loved Dick far more. You felt guilty for wanting to leave. He didn't deserve what you were doing to him.

"[Y/N] you can't keep doing this to yourself." Dick said, slowly stroking your hair as you cried against his chest. "This guilt is eating you alive. I know you want to leave and you're only making things worse by putting it off. Please end it, if not for your sake for his." He pleaded.

"I'm a horrible person." You whispered. Dick took your head in his hands and rested his forehead against yours his eyes baring into your soul.

"No you're not." He insisted. "I want to be with you forever [Y/N]. I don't care about anybody but you. If you want to end this," He said taking hold of your hand and bringing your enclosed hands up to eye level. "Only say the word. I'll leave and never bother you again. But I want to be the one to hold you at night, I want to shout my love to you to the world, I want you in my life again [Y/N]. Love, if you'll be with me, I'll happily spend the rest of my days proving all of that to you." He promised gently kissing your forehead. You gazed into his eyes loving and brought your hand to rest against his jaw.

"I need you, Dick. I can't deny it any longer." You said with tears brimming in your eyes.

"Then don't." He said leaning down and pulling you into a deep passionate kiss. You knew what you had to do but for right now you were content on staying in Dick's arms and forgetting the world around you.