Still Alive. Chapter 28

[Edited]

Disclaimer: I don't own the image above and have only done basic editing. The credits go to Shin Kodoku on ArtStation.

There is a moment of silence as Richter stands up straight and turns to look at Kaho, the murderous glint in his eyes not going unnoticed by me.

"What do you think you're getting at?" He narrows his eyes and begins to walk towards Shinju when Kaho stops him by blasting another shot of lightning at his feet.

"You were helping her, weren't you?!" With that, she fires another shot but Richter is able to dodge it with ease, giving himself a chance to step back and grab one of the swords that stood in a metallic stand for display. When Kaho fires another shot, he easily deflects the attack, doing so that the attack deflected in our direction. I duck before it can hit me and feel the wall behind me crumble slightly. In curiosity, I look behind to see several cracks leading to a fairly big hole. When I hear a gasp, I turn around and notice Kaho looking at me in shock momentarily before shifting her anger towards Richter.

"I'm sorry, Shu!" I nod at her, knowing she can see me from the corner of her eyes, and slowly back away to take another sword from a rack. Kaho runs towards him, not wanting to carelessly use her energy, and jumps in the air to land a kick on him. Richter, however, grabs her leg in time and pulls her harshly to crash her against a nearby wall, earning a yell from her. Instantly, I grasp the sword tighter before placing my free hand on the railing and jumping down with ease.

"I've had just about enough! If you won't give me back the vial, I'll make it impossible to bring her back, myself!" Richter yells in frustration before running up to Shinju. I act just in time as he raises both of his arms, ready to stab Shinju, and block his sword with mine, putting enough force to push him back before he can react. As he stumbles back, Ayato and Ruki grab onto him and Laito quickly snatches the sword from him while I walk up to them before pointing my sword at him.

"Leave. Leave before we end your life mercilessly." He grits his teeth in response and stays put, making me roll my eyes. "Azusa, would you like to do the honours?" I turn my head to already see him standing behind me and hand him the sword before stepping away.

"Don't worry... This won't hurt... a lot." He smiles lightly before pointing the sword straight towards Richter's chest. Azusa pulls his arm back and swings it forward, however, Richter teleports away just in time for Azusa to barely miss slashing Ayato or Ruki.

"If you think you can bring her back, go ahead and try. We will meet again soon, with or without your lovely sister." I look up to see Richter back where he first arrived, but before I can even step forward, he disappears once more, leaving an eerie silence behind him.

"What do we do with this?" Subaru finally breaks the silence and holds up the vial containing the formula that could potentially save Shinju. Reiji sighs and walks up to the youngest, holding out his hand.

"There are some final tests to do before we can use it. I'll go to the lab right away and get to it." Without hesitation, Subaru gives him the vial and Reiji looks at all of us, his gaze suddenly cautious. "However, if there is any other way to bring Shinju back, we should try that first."

"Why is that?" Laito asks and crosses his arms.

"There may be a few unpleasant consequences to this medicine." He chooses his words carefully as he stares at the ground, rubbing his thumb against the glass of the vial mindlessly.

"We don't have the time to think about that, Reiji. As long as those consequences don't harm Shinju, we should be fine." I hold my head, not wanting to hear about any more negative situations that may occur. However, when another question comes into my mind, I look up once again.