Realization. Chapter 15

[Edited]

Disclaimer: I don't own the image above and have only done basic editing. The credits go to @adoniszaf on Twitter. I am extremely sorry for not crediting owners before but from now on, I will try my best to do so. All these artists have done a great job in portraying their characters and I should have realized this mistake before. Also, if I'm crediting the wrong person, please, let me know! 

I look back to see Toshio's confused expression as he scratches his neck awkwardly. I apologize to him internally and continue running after I notice Kou and Yuma picking up their pace as well. Not wanting to increase the pressure I feel, I look back ahead and pretend to ignore their presence altogether.

Why won't you just leave me alone?!

I yell in my mind and finally run around a random corner, hoping they didn't see me and can't actually sense me here because of the large number of people around me. I hide in the shadows cast by the tall buildings around me and stay in the alley as I attempt to listen to my brothers in the street. I bite my bottom lip in anxiousness and shut my eyes while I try to think of a way to get out of this situation without being spotted. Not being able to come to a conclusion, I simply let out a shaky breath and look around for a safe way out. Once I stand in the alley long enough, I peek through to see if they were still around. When I coincidentally make eye contact with a previously searching Yuma, I almost slap myself for my stupidity and instantly walk out of the alley, trying to reduce any suspicion and blend in with everyone else.

I quicken my footsteps so I am powerwalking amongst the relatively slow-paced crowd. My hearing catches on to their footsteps increasing their speed as I begin to increase the distance between us. I feel their gazes pierce through my back and into my soul and I find myself giving in to the panic rising within me. In response to the feeling, I soon begin running once again, not caring what the viewers are thinking anymore. I let out a huff in frustration before turning around a corner and bumping into someone's chest, making me fall to the ground due to my speed.

"I'm so sorry!" I quickly get up, ready to continue my marathon when I open my eyes to look at the person I bumped into. My eyes widen when I notice the person is Yuma, who was staring down at me with a stern look, disappointment and anger clear in his eyes. I step back to change my course when he leans forward and grabs onto my arms, stopping me from running away from him again. "Yuma, let me go!" I wriggle in his grip and finally shake his hands off of me but another pair of arms appear from behind me and clasp onto my shoulders. I turn my head to see Kou's red and blue eyes glaring at me with visible hatred.

"Alright, we are not acting nice anymore. How dare you leave us like that? Do you have any idea what we felt when we thought, 'maybe she's finally tired of us'? What do you have to say to that, Shinju?" Kou pushes me slightly, making me nearly bump into Yuma, but I stop myself and turn around enough to face both of them simultaneously.

"I don't know what you were expecting, Kou. I'm not sorry for what I did- I did it for you. You think it was easy for me to leave you in that place with... with her?!" I struggle to convey my feelings fully and pursue my lips, frustrated that I even hesitated.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Yuma shakes his head and crosses his arms, not bothering to actually find any answers that may not matter in the situation.

"That doesn't matter. All that does is, I had no choice but to do what I did. Please, just give me some time. I promise to come back soon. I just can't give a certain answer."

"Oh, is that so? So when should we expect an answer from you? Should we book an appointment? Will you be in the hotel or will you disappear from there too?" Yuma mocks and leans down with his arms crossed across his chest, his gaze cold.

"There's no need to mock me. Trust me, if I had to do this again and it meant you finally being safe, I would do it again without hesitation. If you can't understand what I'm trying to do then please just let me do it. Don't come near me again, I beg you." I raise my hands in defence and walk away from both of them without another word. Since they don't ask further, I assume they are too shocked to say anything else so I continue walking. After reaching far enough away from them, I hear grunts and groans, indicating someone was struggling. I look back towards the direction I came from and see a hand smack against the ground, peeking from the corner I was just at with Kou and Yuma.

No, it can't be.

I stop walking instantly and instead run back to where I came from and turn around the corner to see Kou's hand peeking around it. I trail my eyes to see him and Yuma knocked unconscious. A small gasp escapes my lips and I step closer to both of them, proceeding to shake them in an attempt to wake them up.

"Kou, Yuma! Wake up, please!" I yell loud enough for the entire neighbourhood to hear, careless of the consequences. When I don't get any kind of response, I look around with watery eyes to search for anyone suspicious enough. But, as if they were attacked by a mysteriously powerful wind, absolutely no one was in sight and us three were the only ones visible around the alleyway.

This can't be Yui's doing. There is no way she is capable of knocking down even one of them, let alone both of them. This is someone else's work's result.

I look at the heavy bruises already forming on both of their cheeks and stand up, my gaze not leaving their unconscious bodies for a second.

Whoever it is, they have to be working with Yui. How else would they know what to do at what time? Ugh! My conclusions make no sense. But... I left my house for their safety. Is there really no way to protect them? There has to be- and I'll show it to you. You've gone too far with your threats, Yui. I need to show you what it truly means to be a Sakamaki.

"I'm going to kill you!" I yell, feeling a burning sensation in my eyes that indicates they were glowing bright purple due to anger. I clutch my head to stop myself from running rampant on the streets and take the support of the wall as I feel my head throbbing. I feel myself shake with anger, every fibre in my being raging in pure hatred for my enemy. My angered gaze falls on the brothers and I instantly feel guilt concur me, making tears appear in my eyes once again. I growl from the sudden wave of emotions and wipe my eyes as I stand up straight before pushing myself away from the wall.

If I can't protect them, I won't be able to do anything. The least I can do is stop anything more from happening. I won't gamble with your lives anymore. I'm sorry it took me this much to realize.

I walk over to them and crouch, grabbing each of their hands in mine before teleporting all of us back to the mansion. I open my eyes and notice that we were now in the entrance hall, two unconscious bodies beside me. I look around, noticing how eerie the atmosphere had gotten after my departure. The house felt as if no one lived here anymore, as if it was abandoned centuries ago with no trace of the residents.

"I'm back! Don't you dare try to scare me with this silent and scary mansion crap!" I yell, my anger towards Yui being reflected onto my own brothers unintentionally. When I don't get a response, I click my tongue and decide to teleport us to the living room, a place where at least someone was expected to be.