Just a nightmare. Chapter 8

[Edited]

Disclaimer: I do not own the image above and have done basic editing.

I wake up to a surrounding that should have been my room but was greeted by darkness instead. I look down at myself to be wrapped extremely loosely with chains as I could freely move around without trouble. With a brief look around in the darkness, I notice water on the floor surrounding me, as if someone had spilt gallons of water right there: in the empty space. The level of water barely reaches my ankles as I stand up and wonder the reason behind me being here. With a deep breath, I take a step forward and then another when I begin to feel the chains around me tightening.

"What the hell?" Was what I meant to say, but no sound would actually escape my lips. A giggle in the abyss interrupts my train of thought and I snap my head in the direction it seemed to resonate from. At the exact moment, the chains around me tighten further, making even the tiniest movements torturous. "Let me go!" A yell with no voice, yet with some kind of echo escapes my lips as I shake myself furiously to break out of the bindings. It is almost as if I can hear my voice in my head, knowing exactly how distressed my tone would sound and how it would crack under the pressure, but my voice never escapes my lips.

"Now, why would I do that?" A response reaches my ears as if it had heard my silent cries and I look up in hopes of seeing the owner of the voice. I feel me grit my teeth until they should hurt my jaw but don't, before feeling a harsh tug on the chain that was hugging my neck. I fall on my back at the sudden impact and feel another pull on the chain, making me strangle against the grip. I attempt to sit up so I have a chance at struggling against the force but to no avail, as I am simply dragged along the water-covered ground. I stop myself from begging whoever it is controlling me and simply stare above me as if looking for a way out, my heavy breathing the only thing I could hear anymore.

"Who are you?" I attempt to whisper between my breathing after a while of laying there, only to be responded with silence. I close my eyes in hopes of escaping this nightmare but when I hear the sound of footsteps against the water, I anticipate the worst was yet to come. "What do you want?" I ask without even moving my mouth, now fully aware of the fact that I couldn't physically speak.

"I thought that would be obvious, everything considered." The voice responds and walks closer to me as I feel the chains loosen, making me open my eyes and sit up instantly. I look behind me to see a familiar figure standing with her arms crossed across her chest.

"What are you doing here?" I feel my body tense as I stand up quickly and eye her movement closely.

"Don't tell me you actually forgot about our little chat not too long ago. Now, that would just be disappointing." She shakes her head with an artificial pout before looking back at me with mischief shining in her gaze. "You really shouldn't underestimate me, you know?" I remember what she is talking about and roll my eyes at her confidence. The chains finally drop to the floor at the moment and I look down in curiosity, only to see them disappear. I look up again to see a surprised expression on her face and I tilt my head in confusion.

"Wasn't she controlling the chains?" I feel a voice mutter to me as her gaze finally meets mine with a determined look in them.

"You're not afraid anymore."

"I was never afraid of you." Yui clenches her teeth and fists by her sides at that in an attempt to seem intimidating.

"You will be," She growls as the colour of her eyes begins to shift from the baby pink to an emerald green shade and I step back in surprise, not sure how to handle what just happened. "You'll regret ever crossing paths with me, Shinju." Her now distorted voice reaches my ears as I feel a harsh kick on my back, knocking me down onto my knees and palms for support. I look behind just in time to roll out of a swing-kick and get up right after to see no one standing in front of me. I look back to see Yui standing confidently with a smirk, making me turn back around in suspicion and block a punch aimed at my face. I look at the face of the attacker, only for my eyes to widen as I see Shu- no, an image of him in front of me.

"Surprise~" I hear Yui whisper behind me, making me clench my teeth as my twin brother disappears in thin air.

"That's enough!" I want to yell so badly, but Reiji comes into view as soon as I turn around, making me dodge his high-kick.

"Why don't you attack them if you want this to end as soon as possible? There's no way you actually care about them, do you?" She waits for my response but when I continuously dodge Reiji's attacks, she fakes a gasp and brings her hand to her lips in shock. "No way! I would've never guessed!" She laughs as Reiji finally disappears after multiple failed attacks and I turn my head upwards to heave a sigh. "Don't get comfortable just yet. You haven't even greeted more than half of your family."

"Just wake up already. What's taking so long?" I scold myself with a frown and turn my head towards Yui. Suddenly, Ayato and Yuma enter my vision as I step back but not in enough time since both of them grab onto my arms and restrain me from moving further. I struggle against their grip until I feel a kick to my torso and fall to the floor from the impact. The water around me splashes as my knees slam against the floor as I feel Ayato and Yuma's grips on my arms loosen, letting them fall by my side. I instinctively look up to see Subaru standing up straight after landing his kick and crawl away before he can knock me down again. I stand up and block Yuma's punch and push him away harshly before ducking under Ayato's kick.

"You need to stop before I do something horrible to you!" I grit my teeth and step back from Subaru's punch. The next moment, Ruki and Kanato replace the three that had been there as soon as I look back up. Ruki swings a kick at me, only for me to block it with my wrist and Kanato's punch with my other free hand. With all my hands busy, Laito appears in front of me and attempts to kick me but I step back just in time. Before I can land on my feet from the dodge, I feel two pairs of arms grab me from behind and look to my sides to see Kou and Azusa holding onto me. Before I can react, they push me forward, giving Laito the chance to land his kick by stepping aside to get access behind my knee and making me drop onto my knee.

"Ouch, that must've hurt." I hear Yui snicker before everything around us goes silent. "It's alright, not everyone's brothers loves them. There are some siblings that are hated on. You just happen to be one of those unlucky people." I only respond with my heavy breathing, not buying any of the crap she was trying to feed me. "Let me tell you just one more thing: if you ever get close to any of your brothers, I will make sure they pay the consequence." She leans down to whisper to me and I take the opportunity to lift my hand and grab her neck. Before I can, however, she disappears just like the images of my brothers, making me grab onto a fistful of air.

A gasp escapes my lips instead of a much-needed scream filled with trauma that simply gets stuck in my throat. I claw at my neck as I breathe in heavily, looking around at my own room which was shrouded in darkness due to all lights being out. With my room strangely reminding me of my dream, I swat my hand frantically over to the bedside table to turn my lamp on. Once the room lightens up ever so slightly, I grab tightly onto my bedsheets and pull them all the way up to my chin. My eyes remain wide with caution as I continue to scan my room.

When will this torment end?

I release a sigh and rest my head on the backboard of the bed in attempts of calming myself down by staring at the ceiling.