To understand. Chapter 26

[Edited]

Disclaimer: I don't own the image above and have only done basic editing. The credits go to RJ on Pixiv.net.

"Kaho!" I yell into the crowd as I stand in the center of it, drawing closeby people's attention to me. I spin around and stand on my toes to have a better view of the place, but to no avail. There seems to be no sign of Kaho and I feel myself panic when I feel a cold hand on my shoulder. I turn around, my hopes increasing, but a frown takes place on my face when I see it's only Kanato.

"What is it, Kanato?" I ask and he points towards the giant windows that run down the walls of the gym, making me furrow my eyebrows at him.

"Look outside! That might lead us to Kaho!" He yells next to me and I grab his hand before dragging him behind me while getting closer to the windows. Once I reach there, I place my hand on the glass and look outside intently, only to see nothing extra-ordinary.

"There's nothing here!" As soon as I begin to turn away from the window to look at Kanato, a lightning strike catches my attention and I look back to see the source of it beginning from the surface of the earth instead of the sky.

What the hell?

I furrow my eyebrows and tilt my head subconsciously as I continue staring in bewilderment.

"Well? Don't just stand here, Shinju! We need to go and check it out!" Kanato pulls my arm and I let myself be dragged as my gaze lingers on the unusual scene outside. Once I can no longer stare outside, I snap out of my daze and begin running towards the main door, making Kanato lose his grip on me from my unexpected reaction. Nonetheless, he follows me closely as I push open the giant doors and run towards the strikes of lightning that emerged from within the forest right in front of the school. "Do you think that's Kaho?" Kanato asks as he runs beside me and I nod my head rigidly.

"Yes, that kind of energy can only be produced by demons." I exhale and enter the forest, determined to find what was going on. "But what's worrying me more is, how did Yui get a hold of Kaho and bring her all the way here?"

"How are you so sure it's Yui?"

"Look up, Nato." I stop in my tracks and look up to guide him in a direction. He follows my gaze hesitantly, not knowing what exactly to look at when I hear a gasp escape his lips. My eyes widen as I stare at Kaho flying through the air as she is followed by Yui, who is somehow also able to move through the air.

"How?" I mutter and see Kaho's powers clash against a dagger Yui held, resulting in it creating a lightning strike right in front of us. I, instinctively, hold back Kanato and jump away with him. I look up at Yui carefully, only to see she was able to control her landing perfectly around the branches and due to Cordelia being in control, she was able to make such high jumps. "Go inside." I pat Kanato's chest to dismiss him as I stare at Yui but snap my head to him when I see him shake his head from the corner of my eyes.

"No! I can't just leave you here!"

"Kanato-" I am interrupted from a scream, making me look up to see Kaho crashing harshly against the ground due to a blow she had dealt. "Kaho!" I yell and run towards her without hesitation, Kanato following me soon after. "What happened?" I turn her around and see a large wound opened up in her side, the blood beginning to pour out faster by the second. Kaho grunts and tries to get up but I stop her from doing so by placing a gentle hand on her shoulder.

"Kanato, take her away from here." I say and lift Kaho up slightly so Kanato can grab onto her.

"What about you?"

"Don't worry about me. Just, go!" He complies without complaint and takes her away. Instantly, I glare up at Yui as she stares at me from one of the several branches surrounding us, a victorious smirk remaining on her face. I grit my teeth before teleporting away and appearing beside Yui. Before she has time to react, I snatch her dagger from her and she turns away as an attempt to dodge whatever is coming her way. I, however, swing my arm and slash her nape easily, making her stumble and jump down from the branch, a scream apparently stuck in her throat.

"Get over it." I land on the ground gracefully and stand up straight before spinning the dagger in my hand. She turns to me, tears in her eyes, as she clutches her bleeding neck. "You don't get to hurt my friend without 'paying the consequences'." I mock her voice, making her eyes widen as she stumbles away from me. I walk forward as I continue speaking. "Sounds familiar, doesn't it?" I stop spinning the dagger and clutch it in the proper form to stab her in the back, the blade of it facing downwards.

She bends down, suddenly, and pulls something shiny out of her boots, making me widen my eyes and jump up to dodge her attack. I look behind me to see three daggers stuck in a tree, the ones I was barely able to dodge. However, once I turn back around, another dagger makes its way towards me and penetrates my upper arm, making me wince and close my eyes. I stumble from the force and take out the dagger in one go, hissing at the pain going through my whole arm.

"Look at the state my dear, Shinju, is in. How terrible!" I hear the sickening voice and look up to see Yui staring at me with her emerald green orbs.

"Cordelia..." I grunt and inhale a sharp breath, physically having to stop myself from making any sudden moves. "Why are you doing this?!" I take a step forward, only to stumble back when she throws another dagger my way and having it barely graze my cheek.

"Why?! Because I want revenge, you fool! I want power!" She yells and grabs onto her nape once more, her blood dripping down her already bloody arm as she applies pressure to her wound. "And for that power, I need you." I clutch the dagger she attacked me with in my hand as I attempt to stand up straight while she fantasizes about her future. "Once I kill you, I will be able to take over the whole world! Even him!"

"And you think, maybe then he'll love you?" Her dreamy eyes flinch and she turns her hateful gaze towards me as I continue. "Let me open your eyes to the reality: no one truly loves you and you know that. You pretend to believe that gaining power will solve everything for you and make your sons love you again. That's not going to happen because for as long as they're alive, the only thing they will feel for you is hatred." I tilt my head as a smirk appears on my face while her expression contorts in anger. "But you won't be able to bear that, will you?" I mock her in a voice as if I was sadly talking to a baby.

"You-" I interrupt her from making any sudden moves by throwing the dagger right at her shoulder, making her stumble back once again and let out a scream.

"It's truly a pity I can't be the one to kill you yet." Her eyes flash as I make eye contact, making me suddenly feel dizzy but I shake my head in attempts of driving away the effect.

"It doesn't matter what you can't and can do. You will pay for this either way." She yells before running off into the deeper parts of the forest, leaving me alone to analyze the situation that just occurred.

"I hope a bear eats you in there!" I yell as loudly as possible and feel all the energy from my body leave me as I collapse to the ground, a heavy sigh escaping me right after. Before I can proceed to get up, I feel my upper body give up its strength and I hit the floor before feeling my vision failing on me.