Getting Comfortable. Chapter 19

[Edited]

Disclaimer: I do not own the image above and have only done basic editing. The credits go to Sariya Asavametha on Art Station.

After patting my cheeks lightly, I walk out and straight into the kitchen, ready to make everyone their breakfast. I look around at the ingredients available as I wrap the strap of an apron around my waist.

What do I even make? I didn't even know today was my duty- wait, why does it feel like I cooked yesterday?

I narrow my eyes as I stare at the stove when I hear a small voice from behind me.

"How about you make something sweet for me?" I turn around and see Kanato standing in the doorway and hugging Teddy tightly against his chest. I raise my eyebrow as a small smirk forms on my lips.

"For breakfast? Hm, I might have to think about that one a little." My smirk transitions into a gentle smile when I see him frown, his cheeks slightly puffed out in disappointment. "Alright, alright. You get ready for school until then." I wave my hand in dismissal and his frown turns upside down in an instant as he jumps up.

"Yay! Thank you! You're the best, Shinju! Reiji didn't let me eat anything sweet while you were gone but at least now you're here." He walks out of the kitchen after the confession and I instantly feel all the energy get drained from my body, resulting in my smile to disappear as a reflex. The reminder of me leaving the house was still hard to swallow and it showed on my face clear as day that I was not too keen on discussing my choices anytime soon. I sigh and lean on the counter when I hear footsteps walking down the staircase not too far away, motivating me to focus on my work.

I guess Shu will be okay with rare steak and lime juice. Spaghetti Carbonara and herbal tea for Reiji, Takoyaki and... Yui's blood- every drop of it- for Ayato?

I sigh once more and rub my temple, only hoping for it to be possible somehow.

I wish. It will have to be apple juice for now. Pancakes and strawberry shake for Kanato and Macaroons and cherry juice for Laito. Subaru could definitely use a bit of fire in him- he has been down for a while so... Sizzler and petrol! Yeah, that won't encourage him to kill me. Fruit punch it is, instead! (I won't be apologizing for my crappy puns!)

Ruki loves himself some soup, so why not give it to him? I'll throw in a little salad as well. Vongole Bianco and Cinderella for Kou. Sugar cube pie and sweet lime... with extra sugar for Yuma? Honestly, how is he still so healthy? I breathe in air and I feel myself get heavier. Anyway, Azusa won't appreciate air so I should think about his dish too. Hm, maybe Shichimi Togarashi and orange pulp. What about Yui? Can I just make her starve? Or give her dog food since she is so obsessed with being a bitch. If only I could- strawberry shortcake and cranberry juice it is.

I shake my head, disappointed at my attempt to impress my brothers by making their favourite dishes. I was doing nothing but creating more work for myself but if this was a way to apologize to them, it was my best shot now. I take out all the ingredients to begin my torment and when I am about to turn the stove on, Reiji and Ruki walk in, making me turn around in an instant.

"Everything is in order here." I snap unnecessarily and turn back when I hear Reiji sigh in response.

"I was here to ask you if you needed assistance but if this is how you plan on behaving then I may have to reconsider my generosity." I grit my teeth at his attitude but continue working nonetheless when Ruki speaks up and walks up to stand beside me.

"It would be greatly appreciated if you two could stop bickering," He mutters under his breath, exhaustion clear in his tone, as he begins helping me out after asking me what I was making. "And you," He addresses Reiji without turning to him and continues, "If you're going to just stand and do nothing, do it somewhere else." The 'big sister' part of me screams to stop them before a fight breaks out but the other part seems to be comforted in the fact that someone is here to protect me. However, to my surprise, Reiji simply walks to the other side of the kitchen and begins making one of the many dishes I had mentioned.

"You don't really have to help me, you know?" I turn towards them somewhat timidly before going back to making my meal when Ruki scoffs and shakes his head.

"Don't worry, we're mostly keeping an eye on you. We don't want you escaping again." He chuckles but I only sigh in response and turn to him with my hand on my hip.

"Really? How long until we stop bringing this up?"

"When you tell us why you actually left." Reiji joins in, making me roll my eyes and go back to cooking. My silent dismissal encourages them to focus back to their work and we continue similarly until we all have finally prepared the meals.

"Anything else you need help with?" Ruki asks as he picks up a couple of plates to take to the dining room and I turn around after washing my hands with a small smile.

"Nope, not really. Thanks, though." He nods and walks out just before Reiji enters to grab the remaining drinks and dishes.

"Well, you don't want any help from Ruki so I'm assuming you won't accept my help either?" His statement transitions into a question gradually and he stares at me from the corner of his eyes as he begins to leave.

"You know you don't need the excuse of working with me to talk to me, right?" I reassure him after seeing the familiar, hopeful glint in his eyes since we began cooking and he turns away, not quite knowing how to reply. Without another word, he leaves the kitchen and I lean on the nearest counter while exhaling in exhaustion. With some time to myself, I gather my thoughts and take the left-over plates to the dining room.

"There she is!" Kou smiles brightly, instantly brightening my mood and I smile back at him as I place the dishes in their respective places. Once I sit down, Kou continues speaking to me and leans forward. "The graduation is tomorrow, Shinju! What are you going to wear?"

"Does it matter?" I shrug, nonchalant of the near future but then scrunch up my face in thought. "I guess I'll just pick something before leaving."

"That's not happening, dear." He waves his index finger at me as I chuckle and shake my head before continuing to eat. "I'll handpick your dress for you, worry not!" At the assurance, I feel a small smile form on my face.

Maybe, things will get normal.