Chapter 8: Frank

Chapter 8: Frank

            FRANK THOUGHT THEY HAD DEFEATED THE last escaped soul.

            Oh boy, he was wrong.

            He was waiting on deck with Piper, because they were waiting for Hazel to come and train with them. They were talking to each other since they didn’t know each other very well.

            “So, you’re the son of Mars?” she asked, turning the cornucopia in her hands. She looked up at him, and her eyes were curious.

            “Well, yeah,” he said, shrugging slightly.

            “Huh.” She tilted her head slightly. “You honestly don’t seem like a son of the war god. All the children of Ares back at Camp Half-Blood are complete jerks.”

            “Yeah, that’s what Percy has said a few times,” Frank said. “I guess I’m just a bit different. It could be the way I was raised. Or maybe Mars is just different than Ares.” He turned back to his sword and said, “Well, you don’t act like a child of Aphrodite.”

            “I’m not, and I’m glad I’m different.” Piper glanced into her bronze knife, almost like she was checking her reflection. “I wouldn’t want to be some spoiled brat who only cares about my appearance. My sisters are self-centered, and I don’t want to be like that.”

            “Yeah, I get you.” Frank nodded. “I like being different. I don’t want to be a typical child of Mars. I want to break that stereotype.”

            Piper nodded, and she grinned. “We’re actually a lot alike,” she said. “I didn’t expect me and you to think almost the same way!”

            Frank nodded, and he looked around the deck. It was very quiet. The only sound was their voices. He couldn’t hear the waves, and he couldn’t even hear the wind.

            “I wonder where Hazel is,” Frank muttered, his eyebrows pulling together. “It’s really quiet out here.”

            “Too quiet,” Piper added. Her hand reached forward, and she slowly stood, holding her sword in her hand.

            BOOM!

            With a yelp, Frank realized his hands were suddenly in handcuffs. Someone had been fast enough to trap his hands in handcuffs, and he didn’t even see who it was.

            “Oh my gods, Frank,” Piper said, her eyes widening. “You’re handcuffed!”          

            “Yeah,” he grunted, straining against the handcuffs. They wouldn’t budge. “I’m going to change into an animal and get out.”