Chapter 3: Nico

Chapter 3: Nico

            NICO DIDN’T HAVE THE ENERGY TO shadow travel very far.

            He barely had energy to begin with. Now he was shadow traveling with a demigod of war, a crazy satyr, and a huge statue meant to help save the world.

            No pressure, Nico. Just make sure to get to Camp Half-Blood in two weeks or everyone will die, put trust in the seven to defeat Gaea, and don’t shadow travel to China or face dying! Good luck on staying alive!

            He was also extremely annoyed while shadow traveling. Reyna remained silent, her hand gripping the statue tightly, and her eyes wide with fear. It was Coach Hedge who was annoying. He was whooping, squeezing Nico’s hand tightly, yelling out threats ‘in case that scumbag Gaea was listening’, and trying to take off his shirt to swing it over his head.

            Long story short, Nico was exhausted and annoyed and was getting a migraine.

            When Nico couldn’t go any farther, he stopped shadow traveling. The black cape of protection rippled away, revealing the real world again. The sky was violet, stars appearing in the sky. Everything seemed to be painted black, white, violet, silver, and a navy blue.

            He collapsed immediately, his head pounding. He had never been so tired in his whole life. His arms felt like lead while his legs felt like jelly. His throat was drier than the Sahara Desert in July. It felt like Zeus had thrown a lightning brick at his forehead. Nico’s heart pounded unsteadily in his ears, which were pulsing with his blood.

            Grunting, he tried to sit up, despite how mentally and physically exhausted he was. He crawled a bit away, only getting a few feet away before he threw up. His stomach felt like it was ripping itself apart. His throat burned as he crawled back to his original resting place beside the Athena Parthenos.

            His skin was slick with sweat, and his stomach felt full even though he had just thrown up. He felt so defenseless and weak.

            Shadow traveling with Reyna, Hedge, and the statue had been such a bad idea. If this hadn’t been critical to saving the world, he would have given up now.

            “Have to… I’ll have… first watch,” he managed out, attempting to sit up. “Have to… protect statue…”

            A hand instantly grasped his shoulder gently. He could barely see Reyna’s face past the fuzziness in his vision. She should have been beautiful. She was probably beautiful to any other boy with her dark braided hair, her deep brown eyes, and her warrior appearance. But she wasn’t beautiful to Nico. He desperately wished to see her as beautiful, but he couldn’t. Only one person was truly wonderful in his eyes.

            “Nico, you’ve done enough,” she said softly, giving a gentle smile. The hard look on her face seemed to dissolve when she gazed down at him. “You need to regain your strength. Go to sleep. Coach Hedge and I will protect the statue.”

            He couldn’t reply, because right when Reyna said that, he was fading away.

Nico really hated dreams.

            This dream was on the Argo II. The seven all looked disoriented, almost as if they had been struggling. Nico tried looking at each of them, trying to keep his eyes on Hazel, but he was frustrated to find his brain insisting to look at Percy.

            Percy didn’t look banged up, unlike Hazel, who had a huge bump on her head. Instead he looked petrified. His black hair was all messy, his sea green eyes widened with fear. He usually gave that look if he was startled, so he made that face at least twice a day.

            He’s such an idiot… Nico could see why Annabeth loved his idiocy so much.

            Finally he realized there was a woman standing in front of the seven. She looked really familiar… It was weird. Her features were hardened, unlike the soft face Nico used to see in his dreams, years ago in the Labyrinth. Years ago, he had dreams of Percy being cared for by a beautiful girl after being shot out of Mount Saint Helens… It had been Calypso…

            Why did this woman remind Nico so much of Calypso? Of course she was different, her style altered. She was older and sterner. Her eyes were blue. This wasn’t Calypso, but it obviously a goddess or Titan.

            “I am looking for Percy Jackson and Leo Valdez.” When the woman spoke, her accent was clear. Since Nico was Italian, he could easily decipher this accent had to be somewhere in Europe. Maybe it was an accent from somewhere in Malta or southern Italy?

            Jason’s eyes narrowed. “Who are you?”

            “I am Tethys.” The woman locked eyes with Percy. “I am the mother of Calypso.”

            The scene melted away, and suddenly Nico was alone with Gaea.

            Oh, Nico di Angelo, one of my favorite Greek demigods, Gaea whispered. Her voice was soft yet menacing. It was the voice of pure evil. How has life been since your little meeting with Cupid?

            Nico’s blood turned cold, his dream body literally unable to move. Gaea’s words were like a dagger to the heart.

            If Cupid didn’t clear it up, I will. Gaea sounded pleased. Jason Grace has found true love. So has your sister, Hazel. Even Leo Valdez may have found his true love. Percy Jackson has found his true love. But it wasn’t you, even though you always dreamed of it. He has no interest in you, he only loves Annabeth Chase. His eyes skim over your as if you don’t exist. You are nothing to Percy Jackson. You are nothing, and you will always be nothing.

            Though Nico wasn’t awake, he knew he was crying and screaming in his sleep. Reyna and Hedge must be alarmed, but he didn’t care.

            “I’ll kill you!” he screamed out.

            Gaea had cleared up every fear in his mind, and it hurt. It was like all the pain he had ever felt was hurled back up at him.

            Gaea’s essence faded away. Nico prayed to dream of happier thoughts. That’s all he wanted. He needed some happiness, even if it killed him.

            Hypnos must have been feeling kind, because all the pain and hurt melted from Nico’s dream. In fact, everything faded until something wonderful was alive in his mind.

            Nico di Angelo dreamt that he was in love- and this time the love was not cruel. He was sitting on the beach, his feet in the water, despite the fact he could care less about the water. His hand felt so small compared to the one he loved, who was holding his hand tightly. He leaned up, smiling up at his love.

            Percy smiled down.

            And for just a moment, it didn’t seem like a dream.

A/N:

poor Nico :( Surprise! I've never tried writing in Nico's POV, so apologies if this isn't good or worth the week's wait. I tried.

Yes, it was meant to be a sad chapter, so please don't kill me.

Dedicated to partygirl237 :) you always comment and usually are the first to read my comments, so thanks! c: much love.

Hoping this fan-fiction is to your liking so far... I dunno. It's a slow start, yeah, but I'm hoping it'll be better than my other two fan-fictions I wrote c:

Gonna try to update by this week, or next weekend... basketball is making me so busy!

Love you *

- Megan <3