Chapter 30: Nico

Chapter 30: Nico

            NICO WASN’T A MEDIC.

            But when he woke up to find Reyna injured, he had to step up to the plate and help her. He knew for a fact that Coach Hedge wasn’t very good at healing, so Nico had to muster up everything he knew to heal her.

            Coach Hedge had been sent off to find fresh water. The satyr came back after about five minutes, holding a bucket filled to the brim with water. (“There was a well by a farm, so I helped myself to take the bucket.”) There was no washcloth, so Nico ripped the bottom part of his jeans off for a makeshift cloth.

            The serpent had spit his poison all over Reyna’s arms and neck. The burns were moderate, but not life-threatening. She was just in a lot of pain.      

            “Hedge, feed her the ambrosia when I start to wash her burns,” Nico commanded, tossing Hedge the bag of ambrosia. “It wouldn’t be the best for her to feel it.”

            “I have the flask of nectar.” Hedge handed Nico a flask, and Nico was relieved. He could now wipe Reyna’s burns with nectar.

            “Now, Hedge,” Nico commanded.   

            Hedge fed Reyna ambrosia as Nico dabbed Reyna’s arms with the cloth. The cloth was wet with a mixture of nectar and a bit of water. When the cloth came into contact with Reyna’s skin, she grunted and squeezed her eyes shut.

            “Hang in there, Reyna,” Nico comforted the Roman. “Chew the ambrosia and think about… happy things.”

            Coach Hedge snorted.

            It didn’t take very long for Nico to tend to her burns. The nectar helped, allowing some of the blisters to fade. Her skin was still puckered pink, obvious burn places. Nico dug for the gauze in his pocket, wrapping the gauze around the two places on her skin where there were still blisters. The burns were improving greatly, thanks to the nectar and ambrosia.

            “You did great,” Nico complimented as Reyna opened her eyes once more.

            “Thanks,” she said slowly. “Even though my skin felt like it was on fire again, now it feels much better.”

            “Your skin does look better.” Instead of the bright red, it was fading away into a milky color. Though her skin was pale and sweaty, it was better than being burnt.

            “While you two are so enamored of each other, I’m going to start a fire and find some more food and water.” Hedge grabbed the bucket, throwing the washcloth at Nico’s face. “No silly business, you two.”

            Though the sun was setting and the light was dim, Nico could see Reyna’s eyes grow hard.

            “Come on.” Nico stood and helped Reyna to her feet. She dropped her arm and walked slowly back, in front of Nico.

            Coach Hedge had already started a fire, and was walking away, bucket in hand. Reyna sat down slowly, right in front of the statue.

            Nico sat near her, keeping his distance by a few feet. He couldn’t help but to keep glancing over at Reyna, making sure she was still okay.

            Her braid was the messiest he had ever seen. Thick strands of her hair hung in her face, which was covered with dirt, blood, and scratches. Her armor was dirty and dented in a few places. Her clothes were covered in various rips. Her shoes looked like they had been dipped in mud. She looked exhausted, her eyes staring into the fire.