Chapter 2: Annabeth

Chapter 2: Annabeth

            ANNABETH WAS JUST RELIEVED THIS WATER wasn’t fire.

            The huge explosion blasted the deck so suddenly she didn’t have time to react. The whole ship lurched to the right, everyone getting knocked off their feet. Her feet were swept out from under her. Her hip slammed into the control panel, causing an ache spread throughout her body. The next thing she knew, she was tumbling in midair, screaming as she cut through the water.

            The waves tossed Annabeth’s body around like a ragdoll. If it had been a few weeks ago, she would have been panicking. But now, after surviving the depths of Tartarus, this was like a walk in the park.

            Her head spun from being twisted around in the waves. She felt like a wet piece of clothing that was left in the washer on spin cycle. She began to wildly kick her legs, hopefully swimming up. She was losing her sense of direction.

            Before she could sink any farther, she could feel a hand wrapping tightly around her wrist. The person was yanking her upwards, helping her swim. She kicked her feet, swimming after whoever was gripping her wrist.

            When she her head broke the surface, she began to spit the salt water from her lips. Her mouth and throat were dry from the ocean water. She coughed, sputtering and flapping her arms. Her head was still spinning and she wildly looked around.

            Leo’s head bobbed next to hers, his hand still grasping her wrist tightly. “Are you okay?” he demanded.

            “F-fine,” she sputtered out, another round of coughing hitting her. She forced more water from her lungs, trying to stay afloat while doing so.

            “What do you think that explosion was?” Hazel questioned from where she floated a few feet away. Her lips were turning blue from the cold water and her teeth chattered. Though this water wasn’t as cold as it was in the middle of the Atlantic, it was still cold for the middle of July.

            “I have no clue,” Annabeth admitted, looking up at the Argo II. “It smelled oddly like cinnamon…”

            Leo’s face suddenly darkened and his cheeks flushed. “Maybe a god was cooking or something,” he muttered, looking panicked.

            Annabeth found herself frowning. Leo was acting weird… It could have been her imagination, but he looked extremely nervous.     

            Before she could interrogate Leo, a shout sounded from on deck, “Annabeth!” A face appeared, a slender body leaning over the deck. By the messy black hair, she knew it was Percy.

            Percy wasted no time getting in the water. He jumped over the deck, the water immediately moving at his will. The water seemed to create a large blanket, engulfing his body in the crystal blue waves. The water cushioned his body, though he didn’t get wet. The sight was familiar to Annabeth, though Leo and Hazel still looked the slightest bit freaked out.