Chapter 9: Reyna

Chapter 9: Reyna

            REYNA NEARLY DIED IN THE FIRST ten minutes of the fight.

            She sat beside Nico, her knife strapped to her belt, her sword in her hand, and her enchanted spear on her wrist.

            She had gotten the enchanted spear while working at C.C.’s spa. She had found it in one of the supply closets when she had been hiding from the pirates. It was a simple gold bracelet with SPQR engraved in the bracelet. In order for it to spring into a spear, Reyna had to press down on the letters. It would spring to a giant spear that was taller than her. To put it back into a bracelet, all she had to do was press the letters again, which were engraved in the shaft of the spear. It was one of her prized possessions.

            Nico was lying beside the Athena Parthenos, curled up into a loose ball. He looked sick, his face covered in perspiration. He often gave groans in his sleep, and Reyna felt bad for him. He looked horrible.

            Coach Hedge paced around the statue, the moonlight reflecting off his bronze armor. He had his baseball bat in his hand. His eyes were surprisingly calm. He was alert, listening for enemies.

            Though Reyna would never admit it, she was terrified. She had no clue where she was, and Nico was passed out with exhaustion. All she knew is that they were near ocean water. She could see the moonlight reflect off the water, which looked like ink in the night sky. The air was strong with sea salt, and she heard the waves crashing against rocks far below. She realized that the Athena Parthenos was on a cliff. The edge of the cliff was about ten yards away.

            More silence circulated around the statue. The only sounds were the crashing of the waves and the slight breeze. It was eerie, the silence.

            It was much too quiet.

            She sensed the monsters. She slowly stood, and Hedge turned around. They locked eyes. They didn’t need to speak to know they were about to put up a fight. 

            The warm, heavy air against Reyna’s skin suddenly turned cold. She looked up at the sky, and couldn’t help but to gasp.

            It was an assault from the sky. Not only were there gryphons, but there were venti.

            Anger boiled in Reyna’s veins. She absolutely despised gryphons. They had attacked her on the way over the Atlantic. They had nearly killed her, and they had put her pegasus, Scipio, through so much misery that she had to end his life. He had been her most loyal companion, and now he was dead.

            Reyna gritted her teeth, gripping her golden sword tightly in her hands. There were dozens, maybe even hundreds of gryphons and venti flying at full speed towards her.

            She had faced more enemies before. She had stormed Mount Tam and fought the Titan Krios. She had faced Polybotes and his huge army back at Camp Jupiter. This shouldn’t have scared her.