Chapter 34: Hazel

Chapter 34: Hazel

          HAZEL KNEW SHE WAS ALIVE WHEN she heard a voice speaking to her.

            Her senses were returning to her. Her head felt like someone had shoved cotton balls against her brain. Pain seemed to be coming from everywhere. Where did the pain stop and begin again?

            A voice was speaking to her, although she could barely hear. It felt like she was underwater; the voice was muted and seemed to be coming from far away. She wanted to respond, but she couldn’t.

            “Hazel,” the voice said gently. “Come on, wake up. You’re okay, I’ll help you.”

            Who knew Hazel personally? Everyone who did was fighting or in a different continent. It wasn’t like she was wearing a sticker that said: Hi! My name is Hazel!

            “Please wake up, Hazel,” the voice continued. “You’re alive. I found you and everything is going to be okay.”

            Finally Hazel found the strength to open her eyes. Her temples began to throb painfully as her eyes adjusted to the world around her. She had to fight back a whimper. Everything hurt.

            The first thing she saw was Frank’s face. At once she was relieved, thankful that her boyfriend had been the one to find her. She didn’t know what would have happened if no one had found her. She felt too weak to sit up, much less walk back to the warship, which was across Athens.

            Frank gave a smile, pulling out a bag of ambrosia. As she chewed on a square of ambrosia, he helped her sit up. “Are you okay? Where’s Alcyoneus?”

            “I’m fine,” she said automatically. It wasn’t a lie, but it wasn’t exactly the truth. “He’s gone.” She suddenly frowned, raising an eyebrow at Frank. “How did you find me?”

            “Mars showed me a vision,” Frank admitted. “I don’t know how long since it’s been since my fight… I think it’s been a day or two.”

            “Why didn’t you go back to the Argo II?” Hazel demanded. Frank didn’t look as bad as her, but she could see the blood on his clothes and the scratches. “We must have been gone for so long!”

            “I knew I had to find you.” Hazel could see the dark bags beneath Frank’s eyes. “I have a hunch that everyone else is safe. If everyone already defeated the giants, we only have three giants left to kill. There’s Hippolytus, Phoitos, and Porphyrion.”

            Hazel frowned. She was a bit upset that he didn’t tend to himself before coming to find her, but she was glad that he had found her.

            “Can you walk?” Frank questioned.

            “Probably not,” Hazel admitted.

            “Would you be able to get onto a horse?”

            “I think so. Why?”

            Frank stood, closing his eyes. Before Hazel’s eyes, his form changed until he was a horse. He slightly hunched over, and Hazel gripped the side of his body. She slowly made her way up until she was sitting up. She ignored the fact that she was riding a horse, who was her boyfriend.

            At once, Frank set off at a gallop. It was much faster than Hazel anticipated, and she nearly got knocked off. She hung on, watching as he weaved his way through the city.

            It only took about ten minutes until Hazel recognized her surroundings. Frank did as well, because he easily found the place where the warship was. Instead of being on the ground, the warship was hovering in the air. A ladder was hanging down, which was obviously meant for the demigods.

            Without Hazel realizing, Frank changed back into his human form. She was still clinging onto him, now being given a piggyback ride.

            “They’re obviously back,” Frank said. “Leo’s the only one who can get it hovering.”

            There was plenty of morning sunlight, except Hazel couldn’t see anyone on deck. There was probably one person up there, but they were practically directly beneath the warship.

            Frank began climbing up the ladder, which was probably extremely hard with Hazel on his back. It was a slow pace, but Hazel found them on deck after only a short time.

            Jason was on deck, and he jumped when he saw Hazel and Frank. “Guys, Frank and Hazel are back!” he yelled, rushing over to them as Frank released Hazel. She slumped towards the deck, landing on her knees. “Are you guys okay?”

            “I’m fine,” Frank insisted. “Hazel needs more attention.”

            The deck was immediately flooded with the others. Percy looked a bit disoriented. Annabeth and Piper were holding flasks, gauze, and bags of ambrosia. At once the girls went over to Hazel, engulfing her in questions and medical supplies. Leo was the last on deck, his cheeks flushed and looking breathless.

            “You two were the last ones,” Percy said, crouching beside Hazel. “We’re all safe.”

            “There are ten days until the first,” Annabeth cut in. “I’d say we’re doing good on time. I don’t know what else is going to happen, but there are three more giants to defeat. I think we should try to rest a bit.”

            “I’m just glad we’re all safe.” Frank met Hazel’s gaze as he said that, reaching for her hand.

            “So am I,” she agreed. She may have been hurt, but the most important thing was that everyone was alive.

            Hazel, for the first time, was almost completely sure that everything would turn out for the best.

A/N: I'm being too nice. there hasn't been a cliffhanger in like two chapters. c:

this chapter is dedicated to Songbook22! :)

okay, if you didn't know, I'm doing a question and answer video! to submit your questions for the video, you can inbox me, tweet me, post on my message board, or you could also post a question in the comments below! I already have almost 30 questions, but some more would be amazing. (everyone go thank Songbook22 for submiting more than 20 questions.)

only 12 more chapters plus an epilogue! who's excited? I am!

thanks for reading guys, love youuu!

- Megan <3