Chapter 37: Percy

(listen to the song on the side during the chapter!)

Chapter 37: Percy

            FOUR DAYS AFTER SPES’S VISIT, THE seven demigods were ready for their attack.

            Annabeth had assumed that the last three giants were on the Mountain of Despair. She seemed extremely confident about the whole thing, while everyone else was uneasy.

            Yeah, Percy had been on the Mountain of Despair before, but not the original one. He’d been on the current Mount Othrys, which was back in California. Although he was reassured that Atlas wouldn’t be there, holding up the sky, he was still fearful of what was to come.

            On the morning of the strike, everyone awoke early. Percy grabbed a piece of toast, not bothering to sit at the mess hall to eat. He pulled out his armor once more, attaching it onto himself. He was still tired from his fight with Polybotes even though it had been days since he and Jason had fought the giant. Percy could easily see everyone’s exhaustion despite having plenty of days to rest.

            When Percy’s armor was on correctly and he had Riptide, he walked back onto deck. Leo was already at the control panel, pressing buttons and flipping switches like a maniac. The Argo II was sailing through the clear summer sky, the city of Athens passing below them peacefully. They had to leave Athens, for Mount Othrys and Mount Olympus were outside of the city. None of them knew when they would return to Athens, or if they would ever see it again.

            “Can you believe it?” Jason came up behind Percy, clapping the son of Poseidon on the back. “If we can take care of these three giants today, we have four days to rest until August first. We’d have plenty of energy to fight Gaea.”

            “It’s all passing so quickly.” Percy kept his eyes on the city below him. “I just can’t believe we’ve only been a team for just over a month.”

            “I know.” Jason’s voice was much softer now. “I’ve known Piper and Leo for just seven months, along with Annabeth. I just met you, Hazel, and Frank last month. And yet…”

            “We’re friends.”

            Jason smiled and nodded to Percy. “Yeah, we are all friends. I trust you guys with my life.”

            “I’m glad you do,” Percy laughed. “I kind of have to trust you, Jason. You’ve saved my butt so many times already.”

            “I could say the same for you.” Jason playfully slugged Percy on the shoulder. “If Annabeth’s right, I’m just glad we could finish off the final three giants.”

            “I’m almost positive Porphyrion and the last two goonies are there,” Annabeth’s voice said from behind Percy. “It’s the Mountain of Despair, after all. Atlas is forced under the sky here… Well, in California, but you know what I mean. This mountain is still going to have so much power since this is the roots of Mount Othrys.”

            “Do we have a battle strategy?” Hazel asked. While Percy and Jason had been talking, the others had huddled close, all near the control panel so Leo could hear while maneuvering the warship.

            “When do we ever have a battle strategy?” Frank asked. “Most of the time we just wing it, Hazel.”

            “I know, I’m just asking,” Hazel answered back, rolling her eyes slightly. “It’s better to at least try to make a strategy.”