Chapter 45: Reyna

(listen to the song on the side during the chapter!)

Chapter 45: Reyna

            REYNA STOPPED FIGHTING WHEN THE SKY turned red. She had been struggling with a Greek girl, who didn’t listen to Reyna when she said she was supporting Percy when the sky darkened. She looked up; horrified to see the sky turn crimson and the sun turn black.

            “This is it!” Nico pointed at the sun, his eyes wide. Everyone froze, also staring up at the sky. “They’re facing Gaea in Athens!”

            From across the crowd, Octavian’s head snapped towards Nico. His eyes widened and he caught sight of Reyna. A scowl was evident on his face and his hand twitched towards his knife. He looked ready to gut Reyna, which wasn’t very reassuring.

            “Nico, are you positive?” a centaur questioned. From his waist down, he was a white stallion. He was donned in armor and had a bow slung over his back. Reyna was shocked that he wasn’t trampling everyone. Centaurs were usually wild.

            “I’m positive, Chiron,” Nico said. “I can feel it.”

            The ground began to shake slightly. Reyna was terrified that the world trembled even though the fight was occurring in Athens. Then again, it really was no surprise, since Gaea was the earth. If she wanted to make everything shake, she could.

            The sky stayed red for what seemed like forever. On the horizon, Reyna could see blue again. Slowly, the crimson faded until it was back to its regular blue. The sun was once more shining brightly. The ground, which had still been shaking, now ceased. Everything was still.

            “Oh my gods,” Nico breathed. His eyes flashed to Reyna. “We’re not dead. They defeated Gaea! They won!”

            A huge weight was lifted off Reyna’s shoulders. She breathed a sigh of relief. After months of this horrible threat looming all demigods, it was finally gone. If Nico was right, the war was truly over. The only thing she had left to hope for was that everyone was okay.
            “I knew those cupcakes could do it,” Coach Hedge said. He was smiling so widely that it looked like it hurt his cheeks.

            There was a bright light on the hill, right by the Athena Parthenos. Reyna shielded her eyes for a moment. When the light faded and she looked back, she wanted to cry, which she rarely did.

            Standing on the crest of the hill were the seven. All battered, bruised, and bloody, but alive. That was the only thing that mattered.

            Percy’s hair was sticking up in odd directions. Dirt and blood smeared his face. His knuckles were bloody. Other than that, he was fine. Annabeth’s sleeves were torn and there was a bruise on her cheekbone. Mud clumps were tangled into her curly hair. Jason’s face was pale and there was a cut along his collarbone. Piper had a bloody forehead and her knees were bruised. Her face was tinted with dirt. Leo had a few cuts on his face and he looked like he had been electrocuted. Hazel’s lip was puffy and there was blood on her arm. Frank had a few bruises scattered along his arms. From what Reyna could see, there were only minor injuries.

            There were several cries of, “Percy!” The Greeks looked amazed that their friend was alive.

            Octavian’s jaw had dropped. His pale face had turned the color of the tomato. “Romans!” he shrieked. His voice was so high-pitched that it hurt to listen to. “Grab the traitors!”