Chapter 24: Leo

Chapter 24: Leo

            LEO WAITED FOR THE PAIN.

            Okay, so maybe that was a lie. He wasn’t looking forward to a giant hammer smashing into his skull, but he was waiting for death. All he wished was that it would be quick and painless. (That was just a wish. He knew very well that most demigods died slowly and their deaths were full of pain.)

            But Leo didn’t just fail himself. He failed Calypso. He had promised her that he would come back, that he would rescue her from Ogygia. She had been right. She had discouraged him from promising this, because she had insisted that he wouldn’t have been able to find his way back. He would have found his way back; he just didn’t expect himself to die so quickly.

            Then it happened. He felt pressure applied to his head, but it wasn’t painful. He heard something crack, yet it wasn’t from his body.

            His eyes fluttered open just in time to see the metal hammer shattering against his head. He watched in amazement as shards of the hammer exploded everywhere, clattering against the ground. 

            Mimas looked at his now empty hand in shock. His eyes burned with rage and his nostrils flared, though he didn’t say anything.

            Leo looked down at his hands, surprised to see that his whole body was on fire. Of course he didn’t feel it, and his clothes didn’t burn because of Calypso’s fireproof clothes. But he hadn’t realized he had ignited the fire in the first place.

            But how had this happened?

            He slowly realized that his out-of-control emotions had made him light on fire. His panic and hurt had protected him. By the hot sensation tingle his skin, he knew he was overheated.

            That was why the hammer shattered against his head. The fire was much too hot, and somehow it caused the hammer to explode. (  Leo didn’t understand, so he assumed it was a demigod miracle.)

            Not only was Leo burning with flames, but he could feel the power radiating off of him. The thought that he had failed Calypso had made him powerful.

            Mimas was still flapping his mouth like a fish. If he had been human, his cheeks probably would have been bright red. He looked so angry that it was a scary sight.

            Leo dug around in his tool belt. He was searching for his hammer, which he had stashed away for safekeeping. If he had been holding the belt the whole, he would have surely lost it.

            His fingers ran over something smooth. It felt unfamiliar in his fingertips. He gripped the object and lifted it from his belt. He was shocked to see that he was holding a knife.

            How on earth had a knife gotten in his belt? He didn’t use swords or knives. He used his powers and his hammer. He wasn’t exactly the most talented person with a typical demigod weapon.