Chapter 5: Piper

Chapter 5: Piper

            TO BE HONEST, PIPER EXPECTED TO stay alive for a little bit longer.

            She thought she would live until the final battle, assuming she would die during the quest at all. If she was going to die, she wanted it to be while fighting the giants, or even while facing Gaea. She wanted to see her friends before dying. She wanted them to be the last people she would see. If she had her way, she would want Jason to be the last thing she would see.

            Sadly, death was arriving, and she was clinging onto Tethys’s arm.

            When Piper saw Tethys knock Percy out and standing at the edge of the deck, Piper acted quickly. She couldn’t let the Titaness kill Percy. So she ran forward, grabbing Tethys’s arm. She was reaching for her knife, or even her sword, hoping to have enough time to make Tethys release Percy.

            Tethys didn’t even hesitate. She just crouched down slightly before flinging herself into the water.

            The Titaness was a fast swimmer. She shot through the water like a bullet, descending deeper in the dark blue depths.

            Piper was freezing. The water was so cold, angrily skimming past her exposed skin. One hand was clenched to Tethys’s arm, while the other arm was trying to grab Percy. Since this was salt water, her eyes were squeezed shut.

            Percy would live in these waters, since he was a son of Poseidon. Piper was surely going to die. She could already feel her lungs burning for air and her skin prick painfully. The deeper she got, the more pressure was being added onto her skull. She was going to drown or be crushed by the pressure, whichever came first.

            Death was terrifying, except she was welcoming it with open arms. Hopefully Percy would be able to get free.

            Everything became a blur, and Piper was being crushed.

When Piper’s eyes opened, she thought she was dead.

            Her body was weightless. She could feel nothing. She was emotionless, and her body seemed to be immune to pain. It was like she wasn’t even there.

            Slowly, very slowly, she was regaining feeling, which wasn’t a good thing. She was so cold. Her body lay trembling on the ground, her teeth slamming together so violently she was surprised her jaw didn’t break on impact. Her head pounded, like her brain was going to combust. She literally couldn’t move without something hurting.

            Ouch ow ouch ow ouch OW.

            Sitting up, she spit out sea water from her mouth. Her mouth and throat were bone dry due to swallowing water. Her hair was plastered down to her face, reminding her of the time she watched TV and she saw a wet cat. She knew she resembled a wet kitten at that moment.