Chapter 18: Reyna

Chapter 18: Reyna

            THE NIGHT WAS STRANGELY UNEVENTFUL.

            While Nico dozed on Reyna’s shoulder, only three monsters tried to attack. They were weak monsters, barely putting up a fight as Coach Hedge crushed them into dust with his baseball bat. It was nothing to worry about.

            Reyna usually didn’t being so close to someone, but she didn’t mind Nico. His darkness and wisdom made him seem so much older than he really was. While he snored quietly against Reyna’s shoulder, she looked down at him.

            His face was perfectly smooth; free from the creases his face usually bore. He looked so childlike and relaxed, which was a first. For the first time, Nico di Angelo looked like a normal teenager.

            Coach Hedge took a small nap while Reyna kept watch. After about thirty minutes of sleeping, the satyr woke up and ordered Reyna to sleep. She didn’t complain, slumping against Nico’s heavy body to doze off.

            Her dreams were just flickers of battle scenes- Percy and Jason charging Polybotes, fire raging around Leo, and Annabeth running through a huge temple. Reyna vaguely wondered what was happening.

            And then the dreams were over.

            Someone was shaking Reyna awake. She blinked, jerking into a sitting position. She yawned immediately, feeling her muscles tense. Exhaustion still tugged at her body, making her feel like she was only asleep for a few minutes.

            Nico was crouched down beside her, a hand on her shoulder. He looked sympathetic, giving Reyna a knowing look. “Morning, Reyna. Did you sleep enough?”

            “No,” Reyna muttered, her tone grouchy. She hauled herself to her feet, brushing the grime from her armor. She probably looked like a kitten that had been dipped in mud. “I only got like fifteen minutes of sleep.”

            “You actually slept for at least three hours,” Coach Hedge corrected. He was sitting beside the Athena Parthenos, gripping his baseball bat tightly. “You wouldn’t wake up.”

            Reyna ignored the hint of sass in the satyr’s words. She walked towards the edge of the cliff, going as far as the earth allowed her. She gazed out across the water, wondering aloud, “Where are we?”

            “I believe we’re near Naples, Italy,” Nico said dryly. “After my time in Rome, I’ve seriously grown to hate Italy.”

            “And you’re Italian,” Coach Hedge retorted. “Your last name is Italian. You hate your home country.”

            “Yes, I hate my homeland.” Nico gave Hedge an icy glare. “There are no good memories here. I’ve had an awful time here and I just want to leave.”