Chapter 22: Jason

Chapter 22: Jason

            JASON WAS ALREADY DEAD.

            There was no point in sugarcoating it. Jason wasn’t fast enough to run or fly away from the poisonous wave, and Percy was too injured to help him.

            To be blunt, he was going to be dead in about five seconds.

            Percy had been planning to sacrifice himself. He had told Jason to run so he could finish Polybotes, which was basically a death sentence. Though Jason hadn’t planned to run, he definitely didn’t expect himself to be in this position. He was so vulnerable. He was seconds from death.

            He could imagine Piper sobbing when she got the news, denying everything. He could see Leo’s smile falter and the light leave his eyes. He could see Annabeth gasp in disbelief, questioning how it had happened. Nico would deny it, keeping his face smooth. (That was ignoring the fact that the world would probably end if Jason died.) But most of all, Jason could see Thalia cursing at Gaea. His sister… He hadn’t even told her a proper goodbye.

            Thalia Grace was a stubborn and optimistic spirit. When Jason was going to say his goodbyes (it had been a few days before leaving for Camp Jupiter), she had simply smacked him. “No goodbyes,” she said sternly. “Don’t think that I’m never going to see you again. I’ll see you in a few months, baby brother.” She had given him a kiss on the forehead and a hug, wishing him good luck.

            He should have told her goodbye anyways.

            The wave was so close now. Jason could reach forward and touch the poison. He could smell the foul smell of poison, and feel the energy radiating against his face.

            He shut his eyes, trying to picture Piper and Thalia beside him.

            But curiosity got the best of him, so he opened his eyes a moment later.

            In the end, it ended up being a good decision.

            Just a millisecond later, not even a second before the water would crush Jason, it happened.

            Percy came from nowhere. One second he wasn’t there, and the next he was in front of Jason. He threw out both of his arms, squeezing his eyes shut. A water shield molded in front of the two demigods. The poison harmlessly crashed into the shield before splashing everywhere. When the last of the poison hit the shield, the shield dropped, creating water puddles around them.

            The air from Jason’s lungs was gone. Now that he was alive, he realized how terrified he had been.

            “You saved my life,” Jason managed. “Percy… You’re awesome.”

            Percy spun around and faced Jason. He had three holes in his shirt from where the trident had stabbed him. His shirt was bloody, though he looked perfectly fine. He grinned and said, “It’s not a big deal. You would’ve done the same for me.”

            Jason had to fight the urge to hug Percy right there and then.

            Polybotes suddenly gave a huge snarl. To say he looked angry was an understatement. His face was twisted up in fury, his fists clenching and unclenching. The trident trembled in his hand.

            “How dare you meddle my plans, sea spawn?” Polybotes screamed, his beady eyes focused on Percy.

            “I’m sorry, friends save each other when a wall of poison is aimed at them,” Percy shot back. His tone was sharp, but his face was amused.