Chapter 28: Percy

Chapter 28: Percy

            THE ARGO II WAS COMPLETELY EMPTY.

            Percy opened his eyes when he could see light behind his closed eyelids. He opened his mouth in awe as a huge city sprawled out in front of him. Athens was a beautiful site.

            It was nothing like New York. Athens was beautiful, so many old buildings gracing the streets. Statues were scattered along the city, mostly of men in beards donning togas. On the crest of a huge hill, lights showed off huge temples.

            “The Acropolis of Athens,” Percy recalled, suddenly remembering one of Annabeth’s long lectures about Greece. “The Parthenon is up there.”

            Jason’s eyes flickered away from the city ahead of him to stare up at the hill. “That temple would be so much more impressive with the Athena Parthenos,” he mused. He turned his attention back to Tempest and said, “Come on, boy, find the only giant warship in Athens.”

            It was extremely late. It had to have been after midnight. Lights still shone brightly over Athens, though the city was relatively quiet. Percy admired the bright lights, feeling a wave of peace wash over him. Despite the fact that he would be fighting giants in a few days, the city lights reminded him of Manhattan, which brought him happy thoughts. It relieved some of his homesickness.

            Only a few minutes later, the city seemed to slightly melt away. Tempest slowed down, and Jason announced, “Found it.”

            Percy looked at the sight ahead of him. There was a small clearing, and there was a small rocky hill a few yards ahead. The Argo II was on the hill, its lights dim.

            An uneasy feeling passed through Percy.

            Jason hopped to the ground, petting Tempest on the head. “Thanks bud,” he thanked the storm spirit. “You saved us from a lot of walking.”

            Tempest gave a small whine, nudging Jason with his head. He bowed his head slightly before galloping away, thunder booming, and he lifted up into the gray clouds which suddenly appeared above.

            “The warship looks really empty,” Percy said, his eyebrows pulling together.

            “Percy, it’s really late. They’re probably all tired from their fights.” Jason looked up at the warship. “We should at least tell them we’re here.”

            Jason started up towards the warship. Percy followed as well, sighing as he pulled his backpack higher up onto his shoulder. He knew that Annabeth was waiting for him since she didn’t go fight. But Percy was seriously wondering if everyone else was back.

            Steam billowed out of Festus’s mouth, but he seemed to relax as he recognized Percy and Jason. Jason stopped by the dragon head and pet it, saying, “Nice to see you.”