Chapter 14: Piper

Chapter 14: Piper

          IT DIDN’T TAKE LONG TO REACH Athens.

            After Jason and Percy left, it only took about three hours to arrive in Athens. Everyone was happy, because they had reached their final destination with twelve days to spare.

            The only one who wasn’t happy was Piper.

            There were extremely dangerous tasks ahead for everyone. Her boyfriend and Percy had set off on their own little quest to defeat Polybotes. She hated the fact that the two strongest demigods on the quest were gone. She would have felt much better if they were in Athens as well, helping everyone fight the giants.

            Deep inside of her, she knew she couldn’t defeat Thoon by herself. She had been smart enough to think about the opposite of love. Each giant was practically the opposite of its opposing god, so the opposite of love would be hate.

            Thoon was the giant to challenge love. Thoon was going to overthrow love with hate.

            Could Piper really face the giant who welded hate?

             She didn’t tell anyone her fears. Not even Jason, who was convinced that she could easily defeat Thoon.

            She forced herself to stop over thinking these things. Forgetting her troubles, she looked at the ground below the ship. Since Athens was inland, they were flying, planning to land in the outskirts in Athens.

            She looked at the city unfolding before her. Athens. It was beautiful.

            All the buildings were extremely close to each other. It was a huge city, sprawling out in front of her. The city was practically buzzing with so many people. Surrounding the city was greenery, since not many plants could cram themselves in the middle of so many buildings.

            Though she could have stared at the city all day, she focused on a huge hill. It was definitely not in the middle of the city, but it certainly was drawing lots of attention. There was a huge temple at the top of the slope- the Parthenon. The Parthenon was obviously the main attraction. Other temples surrounded the temple.

            The Temple of Aphrodite was one of those temples, just a temple in the Acropolis of Athens. Piper had seen it in her dream. She knew where she was going. She knew where she was going to kill Thoon.

            There was a clicking sound, and Piper could feel pressure in the deck below her feet. She knew that the ship was slowly descending. The city began to get closer and closer.

            “Better go grab your stuff, Piper,” Leo said from the control panel, glancing at her as he shook a Wii remote in his hand. “We’re all leaving when we land.”

            “Alright,” Piper replied. She gave the city one last glance before heading below deck.

            She was anticipating a violent battle ahead of her. She was wearing her old blue jeans with holes in the knees and one of her old yellow tank tops. After lugging out the heavy Celestial bronze armor from all the clothes thrown on her floor, she carefully put on the armor. She strapped her knife to her arm, tightened the cord on her cornucopia, and sheathed her sword.

            There was a quiet knock on her door. Annabeth popped her head in and threw a small baggie to Piper. In the plastic bag was gauze and ambrosia.