Chapter 26: Frank

Chapter 26: Frank

            FRANK DIDN’T LIKE THE FACT THAT he was about to become a Twinkie.
            Truthfully, if he could become any kind of food, he would want to be a birthday cake. He would only be eaten once a year and the people would be very happy while eating. Twinkies were inhaled by the millions, and they were sugary in a disgusting way.

            There was a huge cut on his side, and it throbbed whenever he took a breath. It was probably from being launched at the deep fryer. He couldn’t move at all, not even to clasp his hands over the wound.

            He needed to move. The pain couldn’t hold him back. Getting up right now was critical; especially since he could see one of the giants reaching down to grab him.

            Frank suddenly thought of Grandmother. She would probably yell at him to get up, call him Fai, and tell him something along the lines of, “A Zhang never gives up!”

            He then thought of his mother. She would smile and encourage him to stand, encourage him to keep fighting.

            Faces flashed through Frank’s mind. Suddenly the faces stopped flashing, setting on one. Hazel.

            Frank had to keep fighting. He had to fight for Hazel.

            A voice suddenly said, “You’re not the only one with a special power, kid.”

            And Frank’s eyes flashed open.

            His father stood before him. Mars looked completely at ease, despite being glared at by two giants. He grinned at Frank and said, “Well, are you getting up or not?”

            Unsteadily, Frank rose. His head still throbbed from hitting the giant fryer, but now he kept his eyes on Mars. Why was his father even here?

            “Let me start this killing spree, and you can join me.” Mars closed his eyes, and his body began to chance shape. He grew much shorter and burlier. He went down on all four legs, and his eyes turned beady.

            He was a giant boar, Mars’s sacred animal.

            Mars charged himself at Ephialtes, the giant slamming backwards into the deep fryer. Again and again the god smashed himself into the giant, who was screaming bloody murder.

            Otis shot Frank an angry glare, so Frank knew it was time to transform.

            Frank shut his eyes, feeling his body heat up. He could feel himself grow much bigger, his body growing thicker. His skin felt rough with scales. Wings grew from his back, and his nails grew to claws. He was suddenly towering over the giants.