Chapter 40: Jason

(listen to the song on the side during the chapter!)

Chapter 40: Jason

            THE DAY AFTER FIGHTING HIPPOLYTUS became “the last day”. With each passing second still filled with uncertainty about the outcome of the war, the seven treated that full free day like it was their last.

            After their fight, the injuries were minimal. Percy and Hazel had both received concussions. Frank had sprained his arm close to the elbow. Piper had a nasty cut on her lip and a sore nose. Leo had been clawed across the face. Jason had sprained his shoulder. Annabeth had been the only one to escape with no injuries.

            The last day concluded of resting and just being teenagers. Thanks to Leo’s handy skills, he managed to play a superhero movie against the wall of the mess hall. They table was filled with popcorn and soda, each person in their own pajamas while wrapped in blankets. The movie was cheesy and didn’t have a very good plotline, not that anyone cared. Jason barely understood the movie; he was too busy focusing on Piper, who was pressed against his side.

            After the movie, which had been show pretty early, everyone just went their own way. Annabeth and Percy were surrounded by books and maps, the two of them deciding what time to leave and how to get onto the mountain. Leo went down into the engine room to do last minute repairs. Hazel and Frank remained in the mess hall, their fingers intertwined, speaking in low voices. And Jason took advantage of the free time by pulling Piper onto the deck with him. They both agreed to be on watch, though they hadn’t encountered a monster in days.

            “I can’t believe tomorrow will either end in us dead or Gaea put to sleep,” Piper said out of the blue. She was beside Festus, one hand on his enormous metal head. Her eyes were taking on the color of her shirt, which was a dusty brown. Her hair was pulled tightly back in a braid, a feather entwined with her dark hair. Jason found himself focusing on the little details, almost like he was afraid to forget them.

            “I have hope.” Jason stood at her side, looking down at her even though her eyes remained on the horizon. “We’re a good team, us seven are. We’ve done so much and I think we can really do this.”

            “What if the prophecy is true?” Piper asked. “To storm or fire, the world must fall. What if you or Leo dies tomorrow?” Her eyes were glossy.

            There was suddenly a lump in Jason’s throat that hadn’t been there a moment ago. “I won’t leave you,” he whispered. “I can’t leave you, not now. I promise.”

            “Don’t promise anything, please,” she instantly said. “The prophecy is going to come completely true tomorrow, and I don’t want any oath to make you die.”

            “I’m not going to die. Everyone will be okay, Piper.” Jason put his arm around her and she met his eyes, her swirling kaleidoscope eyes that he wanted to get lost in. “I non-promise you that much.”

            A smile flickered to her lips despite the tears in her eyes. She didn’t say anything, putting her hand on his cheek and kissing him in the light of the setting sun.

            If this would truly be Jason’s last day alive, he was thankful that he spent it with Piper.

The next morning, everything was grim.

            The sky, as if it was reading Jason’s mind, was cloudy, the exact color of Annabeth’s eyes. The air had a cold bite to it, though it was still warm enough to not have to wear a jacket. The sky was stormy, and Jason could feel the flickering electricity in the air. The sky was uneasy.