Chapter 33: Leo

Chapter 33: Leo

            LEO DIDN’T KNOW HOW LONG HE had been asleep. In fact, he didn’t even know he had been asleep until he woke up. All he could remember was something hitting the back of his head and the world going dark, like someone had switched off the sun.

            The back of Leo’s head was aching like crazy. If he had the strength, he would be moaning and clutching the back of his head. His body was heavy, and he would assume he was paralyzed, except his body slightly shifted in his command. His eyes were closed, except he could see light burning against his closed eyelids.

            How long had he been asleep?

            Slowly, very slowly, Leo opened his eyes. At first, he thought he was burning in the Fields of Punishment due to the fire burning everywhere. He was quick to sit up, looking around quickly. When he saw the Temple of Hephaestus, he was slightly relieved that he was still alive. But where was Mimas?

            As if on cue, Leo heard muttering from a few feet away. He turned his head, ignoring the horrible throbbing in the back of his head, to see Mimas crouched down. His back is facing Leo. His palms were pressed against the dirt. His voice was much too quiet for Leo to hear, though some words were clear. “Gaea… Mother… Puny demigod… The end… Fire… Temple… The seven… Brothers…”

            What could Leo do? If he made too much noise, Mimas could easily turn around and kill him. If he let the flames continue to burn, they would burn down the Temple of Hephaestus. If Mimas killed him, the world would most likely end with Leo gone.

            As if someone was listening, a voice in his head whispered, Leo, your hammer.

            What do you mean? Leo asked back. He felt kind of crazy for answering a voice in his head, but this was all in a day’s work for a demigod.

            Mimas is distracted. If you smack him with your hammer, he could die. I may not be an almighty Olympian, but I can help.

            The voice in his head was so familiar, so comforting…

            Calypso, how…? Leo wanted to cry, hearing her voice.

            I can’t explain, but you have to hurry! My powers can only assist you for so long. It’s hard to extend my power so far, Leo. I believe in you.

            Hearing Calypso’s voice, knowing that she was near, comforted him. He stood, shakily, and seized his hammer. His hands were trembling, but he slowly lifted the hammer up over his head. He stalked forward, closing the gap between him and Mimas, who was still talking to the ground.

            Right when Mimas stopped talking and was about to turn his head, Leo smashed his hammer into the giant’s head. White light blasted from the hammer, throwing Mimas back onto the ground. There was a sizzling noise as Leo fell back, the power tossing Leo backwards like a boomerang. Mimas barely made a noise, though groans of pain and curses fell from his mouth. His eyes were wheeling, his body beginning to sink against the ground.

            “And that is for Calypso from Calypso!” Leo managed to yell. “Go rot in Tartarus, ugly flame.”

            Mimas didn’t make another sound. His eyes wheeled into the back of his head, and he blasted into a supernova of fire. His body dissipated, leaving ash and his hammer there.