Chapter 43: "The Don't Care About Us"

James P.O.V.

''What the fuck?'' I whispered, frowning. ''That cannot be possible.''

''It is.'' Michael said, crossing his arms. ''I've seen him around.''

''Not again, please.'' I sighed rubbing my face. ''Could you tell Jennifer to stay all the time with Victoria? I'm going to end things.''

''I can, but I'm going with you.'' He said. I nodded my head and walked towards Victoria.

''Honey, are you having fun?'' I asked her when Michael carried Jennifer a bit away to explain her everything.

''Yeah, Jennifer is so kind.'' She smiled brightly, wrapping her arms around my neck. ''When are you coming back?''

''Well, I've got to go with Michael because... Some stuff, you know.'' I lied. Her face changed, even she unwrapped her arms.

''Oh, I see.'' She sighed.

''But I'll be right back soon, okay?'' I whispered, taking her chin with my fingertips.

''Could you just stay here with me for a few minutes to dance with me maybe? Or just stand by my side. We've come here together to have some fun and distract for a bit.'' She mumbled, giving me an eye.

''James, let's go.'' Michael said and I nodded my head once again.

''I love you, right?'' I whispered and gave her a kiss.

''Jennifer is okay with this.'' Michael mumbled as we went downstairs, where all of the journalist were. ''How's she?''

''I guess she can intuit something.'' I sighed. ''She will be really mad.''

''What do you prefer? She being mad or fucked up because of that bastard?'' Michael replied and I sighed again.

''There he is.'' I mumbled as we saw Joey waiting for the elevator, just to go where the party was being celebrated.

''Excuse me, are you Joey?'' Michael asked him, trying to sound polite, but of course he didn't sound like that.

''Yeah, why do you ask?'' He replied.

''Because you may want explain what the fuck are you doing here when you have no invitation.'' I said.

''Oh yeah, I'm here to have a nice chat with Victoria and tell her that you're-''

''Sure dude.'' Michael chuckled and palmed his back.

''And what are you going to tell her? That you were one of the shit talkers around her? That you wanted that girl to stab her?'' I asked getting closer to him. ''Believe me when I say I will protect Victoria no matter what, even if that means ending you, her brother or her mother, you hear me?''

''And who is she going to believe after all?'' Joey hissed. ''She doesn't love you.''

''And she loves you, huh?'' I chuckled. ''This is my family you're talking about. If you can't hang it, then go and hit your damn head against a wall until you pass out.''

''You don't know anything about her.''

''Dude, I've been trying this the better way, but you make me feel really tired.'' I sighed. 

-

''Jennifer, where is Victoria?'' I asked her through the phone. ''We can't find you both here.''

''I left her in the hotel room, don't worry.'' She said calmly.

''How long?'' I asked again.

''Not too much.'' Jennifer sighed. ''She was pretty drunk and mad.''

''What?'' I exclaimed this time.

''She fell asleep on the couch, or at least I guess that.'' She said. I looked at Michael worried.

''Okay, thank you so much, Jennifer.'' I sighed. ''I got to go to the room right now.''

''And? '' Michael said.

''She's drunk as hell.'' I mumbled running towards the lift. ''And angry.''

''Explain her.'' Michael whispered.

''I know, but I don't know how.'' I shook my head twice. ''Thank you, I'll call you tomorrow.'' I sighed opening the door slowly. There was no light, no noise except a sob. ''Honey?''

''You left me alone.'' A tiny voice thread spoke. She was sitting on the couch with a tub of ice cream, a glass full of alcohol and just a shirt on.

''I'm so sorry.'' I whispered and sat in front of her. ''I can explain it.''

''And what are you going to explain, James.'' She whispered, rubbing her eyes and messing the makeup all over her face. Then, she took a big sip. ''What do you want to tell me now.''

''Joey was here.'' I whispered, stroking the outer part of her thigh as I slowly took away the glass from her.

''What?'' She asked.

''Michael told me, that's why I left you two hours alone.'' I sighed. ''I can't stand the idea of something wrong happening to you.''

''Not again please.'' She growled this time, holding her head in her hands. ''I don't want him to hurt you.''

''It's okay, dear.'' I said standing up to carry her to the bed. ''You're just drunk.''

''I'm not...'' She replied retching.

''Okay, okay, bathroom.'' I said, taking her straight to the bathroom.

''Don't let him come back.'' She said coughing, holding her stomach and head. ''Promise me that, please.''

''I promise.'' I whispered trying my best to help her. ''Calm down, right?''

''Everything is spinning around.'' She mumbled resting her body on the wall after I let her wash her mouth.

''Let's go bed, come on.'' I said, picking her up bride style.

''Don't go.'' She said crying. It was getting worse, more when she got drunk.

''Where can I go?'' I replied kissing her forehead. ''What are you crying about?''

''Kevin Jonas is so underrated.'' She sobbed. I couldn't help but laugh at that point.

''Why do you think that?'' I asked as she hardly could keep her eyes open.

''I don't know.'' She whispered, squeezing my hand harshly. ''I've been wondering about it.''

''It is fine.'' I chuckled.

''James.'' She said this time with her eyes closed, resting her head in my chest. ''I love you.''

''I love you too.'' I whispered. ''Rest now, my dear.'' I held her in my arms until she fell asleep.

I could understand how hard it was for her. The way she cried that night... I had never seen or heard anyone mourn like she did. Someway, she had something broken inside. Not everything was fixed, thought mostly was. That's why I, with Michael's help, finally vanished Joey from her life. Not because I wanted to; it was because she asked me to do it somehow.

We just had a... Good chat with him, and when things turned the worst, we decided to call the police and the security, which was the easiest way to get a good image and get banished from any kind of trouble. 

But he didn't walked away without knowing what meant trying to mess with the ones I loved most.