Chapter 40: "Patience"

''Do you really think this will work?'' I asked James as he helped me getting dressed. He chuckled and carried me to the wheelchair, where I sat down after.

''You just need this to go home, then you'll be able to walk by yourself.'' He replied.

''I feel useless.'' I groaned, rubbing my temples.

''Victoria, please.'' James said and I sighed. ''This is just to take you into the car.''

''Okay... I guess you're right.'' I whispered. ''Let's go home.''

''It isn't that bad.'' He said and I turned my head back to eye him. ''When I was a child, I wanted a chair like yours.''

''Jesus Christ.'' I chuckled. ''Are you being serious?''

''Nope.'' He laughed. ''I only do this because I want you to laugh.''

''Jerk.'' I giggled, grabbing his right hand to get up as we got near the car.

''My parents are coming home tomorrow, they are going to visit my brother today, so they'll be here at afternoon.'' James said when we, finally, arrived home. ''I think it's a bit early.''

''It's fine.'' I said. ''They are lovely.''

''Yeah, but you may be tired.'' He replied.

''James, your parents have always treated me like their own daughter, you don't have to worry about anything, right?'' I grinned. ''It's true I'm tired, but we are home.''

''Right, miss.'' He joked and gave me a kiss. ''Let's go inside, come on.''

''McAvoy, don't play with fire.'' I chuckled and walked slowly with his help towards the inside of our house.

''I do not.'' He replied and I rolled my eyes. ''Well, now that we are here, what do you want?''

''A hamburger and also go to the backyard.'' I pouted.

''Are you kidding?'' James laughed and I nodded my head twice. ''Okay, I'm going to call right now.''

''Nice, because it's already dinner time and I'm starving.'' I groaned.

''I feel like a nurse, but I don't mind.'' He said and I burst into laughter once again.

''I'll give you the suit.'' I joked. ''Honestly, I can take care of myself.''

''You can barely walk by yourself.'' He said and I leaned my head. ''So I will, even if you don't want me to.''

-

''James, my dear!'' I heard James' mother say lively. I was resting on the bench outside, stroking the ring James gave me with the hand over my belly.

''Mom, dad.'' He replied and chuckled lightly. ''How are you two?''

''We are fine.'' His dad said. ''What about you?''

''Well, I'm fine but really tired.'' James giggled. ''Come on in, please.''

''Victoria, honey! How are you?'' His mom asked me as I got up slowly. ''Don't even move, you need to rest.''

''I'm okay, still hurts, but I'm okay.'' I chuckled and hugged first his mother and later his father. ''You look really good.''

''Vacation time.'' His father replied laughing. ''It's been a long time since we met last time.''

''Take a sit, please.'' I said still standing on my feet. ''I know, I know... We've been really busy, to be honest.''

''Yeah, we can imagine that.'' James' mother answered. ''Did you finish the career?''