Basketball Play

Aya’s POV

Aka-kun ignored me when I tried to talk to him at lunch. I was currently making my way to the gym when I saw him walk out the classroom. His presence made me stop as I caught his eye but he immediately looked away. Staring at his distancing figure, I glanced at the Class-A door where Daisuke-kun had appeared as he saw me.

“Oh, Aya-chan, are you on your way to the gym?” Daisuke-kun smiled at me. “Do you want to walk there together?” he offered as I smiled back.

“Sure, Daisuke-kun” we started to walk together in silence, only our footsteps were heard throughout the empty hallway.

It was 5 minutes after dismissal and the students of Rakuzan had already gone home, while the others in a club had already headed to their respective whereabouts.

“Aya-chan, I remembered that the InterHigh is about to start in a few weeks” Daisuke-kun mentioned.

“That’s right Daisuke-kun, that’s why we gotta train really hard in order to win every game we play” I replied.

“Well, I checked the schedule and saw that a week before the InterHigh starts, we have our first semester exams” I stopped after he mentioned that and stared at him dumbfounded. “What’s wrong?” he also stopped, and gave me a questioning look.

“E-E-Exams???” I stuttered, crying comically. I completely forgot about the upcoming exams! And lately I’ve been spacing in class and forget about copying notes!!! Gah, I’m going to fail this time AGAIN! >.<

“Yeah, Aya-chan, don’t tell me you forgot about that Rakuzan gives exams every academic quarter” he jested, giving me an amused look, and snickered.

“It’s not that Daisuke-kun! I remember that! But…” I trailed off as I felt my cheeks blush in embarrassment. I… don’t have anything in my notebooks to study about! >///<

“Then what are you worried about?” he asked. “Our teachers are really good in teaching the subjects, and they provide complete notes. You just have to study them”

“Well… that’s the problem, Daisuke-kun” I started and hid my face. “I don’t have anything to study. I forgot to copy notes” by now my face is as red as Aka-kun’s hair! Gah! It got even redder when I thought about him!!!

 Aka-kun may have been ignoring me and cold towards me after that night, but I still love him. Even if he treats me as if I’m some stranger, I still look to him as the guy who stole my heart two times. The guy who had my head floating every time I think about him.

“Aya-chan?” Daisuke-kun’s voice snapped me out of my head.

“Y-Yeah?”

“I was telling you that you could borrow and copy some of my notes, if you want” he said with a discreet look as he watched me carefully.

He must’ve notice me being absentminded.

“S-Sure Daisuke-kun. Arigatou” I showed a grateful smile. “Ne, let’s go to the gym now”

As we arrived at the gym, the entire basketball club members were eyeing at us with suspicion painted on their face. My eyes landed on Aka-kun who I caught already staring at us. I tried to seclude my blush but still wanted to look into his eyes for a while, cherishing those ruby-golden pair of orbs. He retracted his gaze away from me and tried to maintain his focus on the ball he was holding.

Basketball, the sport that brought us together, and me closer to my other friends. It also helped me regain my memories and met new people such as the Seirin team and Taicchi. “Basketball…” I murmured. Maybe I should play just this time.