Forcing fake smiles

Taiga’s POV

Gah! I was currently stretching my muscles while getting ready for our game against Rakuzan! I saw the other team also warming up but I didn’t find Aya anywhere. Where is that purple head midget now? I wonder if she grew in height. Last time I saw her, her head was just at my shoulders.

Kuroko just went out of the gym to go the restrooms, so while he was out, I let the team do warm-ups.  Since our senpais graduated, Hyuuga-senpai had made me the captain of the team. I don’t know why, but it’s his decision so I just have to respect it.

I saw the gym door open expecting Kuroko to return, but it wasn’t him. It was Aya walking in like she just came from a funeral of a close friend of hers.

Seriously though, she doesn’t look like her normal self.

Normally, when she enters the gym during first year, she’d greet everyone in the gym cheerfully as if the happiest person in the world. She’d even often attack me a hug and give me one of those signature smiles of hers.

I watch her drag herself towards the bench and set her things there. Kuroko and two other guys entered the gym as the phantom vice-captain approached me and this black haired guy came to Aya, worriedly.

“Hey Kuroko, what’s wrong with Aya?” I asked him, as he walk pass me.

He stopped on his tracks then glance at me. “I don’t know either. But…” he paused. “Nobuyuki-kun had mentioned that, it had something to do with at the party she attended with Akashi-kun, two nights before”

I stiffened and looked at Aya who was staring blankly at the floor as she sat on the benches. I noticed Akashi wasn’t here either. Where’s that red head midget?

“Hmm, should we ask what’s wrong?” I suggested.

“It’s better if we let her be for a while. Let’s concentrate on the match first, then let’s talk to her” Kuroko replied.

“Oh, Kuroko-kun, let’s invite Aya-chan to go get ice cream later!” Furihata but in with a suggestion.

“Hmm, that sounds like a good idea, what do you say, captain?” Fukuda added, smiling at me.

“But doesn’t she and Akashi-kun have plans already?” Kowahara commented. Hmm, he’s right about that. but…

“Hn, sure, if she agrees, then why not?” I agreed, nonchalantly. Knowing Aya, she’d agreed to go but judging by her looks, I can tell she’s not in the mood.

THIRD PERSON’S POV

The players have positioned themselves at the court, without any sight of the Rakuzan captain. Taiga and Tetsuya wondered where the red emperor was and glanced at Aya who also had a worried expression on her face. ‘Where the heck is Akashi?’ Taiga asked himself. And as soon as Daisuke threw the ball in the air, he jumped for it and successfully got the ball.

“Offense!” he yelled, turning his captain mode on. He and his team ran towards the Rakuzan’s ring to score as the opponent didn’t hesitate in stopping them with strong defense.

While the bluenette coach watched the game, he also wondered about the whereabouts of the captain of the basketball team. They were in the same class, but Seijuro had already gone out ahead of him. ‘He even didn’t wait for Aya’ he sneaks a glance at the manager. ‘Did something happen between them?’

“O-Oi!” someone shouted when the ball was out of bounds and was about to hit Aya right at the face. But her mind was still floating and didn’t notice it, when someone had stopped the ball a few inches before it met her face. All of them look startled; even Aya who her eyes had widened for a bit and discovered that it was Seijuro who had saved her face from being hit.