Chapter 25

Hi everyone! Another update, and the next one should be really soon! 

I know these chapters are short, but bear with me! Some feedback would probably make them longer... hint hint lol. 

Song of the chapter is "Ocean Drive" by Duke Dumont

And a picture of Kiara, just because :)

Chapter 25

Kiara POV

"Happy birthday, Kiara," my mom smiled as she hugged me tight, her gold bangles jingling on her wrist from the movement. She pulled away and gazed at me with soft eyes. The perfect Luna. 

"Thanks, Mom," I replied, giving a toothy grin. My hair was still damp from messing around in the snow, which was now melting and dripping all over the floor. But, it being my birthday and all, nobody had the balls to scold me. 

"It's a big one, you know," my father said and tipped his head towards me, showing me a teasing smile. 

"Don't remind me," I squirmed. Even though I was eighteen and technically ready to become Luna of the pack, I knew I wasn't ready. I needed much more practice and preparation. I needed some time with my mom. Lynn Everhart was the picture perfect Alpha female, with her poise and graceful attitude. Unlike me, who had just had a snowball fight with her mate outside for an hour. 

Speaking of my mate, I looked over at Connor. My dad had always seemed to be on guard around him, but right now it didn't look like his posture had changed. Maybe things were finally starting to change, I thought. Connor looked more carefree and happy than I had ever seen him. The light in his forest green eyes made my chest burn, and his easygoing smile was a stark difference from his usual tensed jaw. Watching my family interact with him and the fact that he was so comfortable made my heart swell with excitement. 

"You must open your present from us," my mother said as she clapped her hands together in excitement. Yup, that was about as rowdy as she got, that woman. She held out a small white box tied with a light pink ribbon. I grasped it from her gingerly, not wanting to screw up the dainty packaging. 

I unwrapped the box to find a silver chain. I held it up to eye level; there was a glistening, white pearl clasped on the end. It was simple, but it was beautiful. 

"Pearls are the only jewel that grow," my mom explained. "And so have you. And I know that you will be the most amazing Luna someday, our jewel." My dad wrapped an arm around her as she finished and they embraced, making my eyes tear up.