Chapter 6

Song of the Chapter: "Pursuit of Happiness" by Kid Cudi. (Idk its a party song lol)

This chapter is dedicated to anywhere_else, because she won my little 'make your own character' contest thingy! She created her own character (Adrian) who is now used in my story!

Picture of Adrian on the side -------------->

Enjoy! :)

Chapter 6

Kiara POV

          Connor had his eyebrow raised, but not in a joking manner. His mouth was set into a frown, and he crossed his arms. His forearms tensed as he looked us over.

          "Who's he?" He asked, eerily calm. People around the café started to whisper animatedly, debating whether Connor would kill Adrian or vice versa.

          I looked between the two of them. Connor was slightly taller, but I've seen Adrian fight. He's had good experience. "Uh... This is Adrian. His father's the Beta of the pack." Connor didn't look impressed.

           "He's been training in New Zealand for the past few weeks." I added. He and some other pack members went there to learn combat and such. I hadn't known they would be back today. I turned my attention back on Adrian. "I thought you were supposed to come back next week?" I asked him in disbelief.

          He beamed. "Well I couldn't let my best friend start school all by herself, now could I?" A smile lit up my face before I could help it. Adrian knew I was nervous about going back to school next week. Being the Alpha's daughter, whether I liked it or not, gave me a status in the social structure of high school. A lot of people were intimidated by my position, meaning no one would really talk to me unless I addressed them first. Since Adrian is the Beta's son, he's also thrust into this life of status. We've stuck together, with a few other friends, but he's the one who kept me sane all these years.

          Everyone thought we were mates. He's one of the select number of people who my father trusts; my father was almost disappointed that we weren't mates. But I could never think of Adrian like that. I know it sounds cliché, but I really do think of him as my brother. He's my best friend.

          "How did you know I was here?" I asked him.

                    "Your dad told me. And I saw Chase outside." He winked at some girls eavesdropping on our conversation, making them squeal. Adrian used his Beta status for his benefit mostly. He was always fun, always outoing. He made a joke out of everything. And that's why we were such good friends. He gave me a questioning look, as if just noticing Connor's annoyed stare.

          "Keek..." I tried to ignore the weird nickname. He's called me that for ages. "Why is there a rogue in here?" 

          Connor narrowed his eyes, and strided over to where we were standing. He slung an arm around my shoulder as a sign of protection, and it took all I had not to melt in his arms. Does this mean he wants me? I bit my lip, and snuck a glance up at him. His expression had softened now that he was near me, but I could see that his jaw was still tense. I sighed. Men and their pride... 

                    "I'm Connor." I involuntarily leaned closer against him, so that I was pressed against his chest and... other places. He took a sharp intake of breath, and I giggled into my palm. I think I love the effect I have on him a little too much. 

          Adrian grimaced, looking outraged. "Kiara, does your dad know about this? How many times have you snuck away to be with this rogue?" I heard a low growl beside me, and my eyes widened.