Chapter 18

Song of the Chapter is "Work Song" by Hozier

Enjoy! :)

Chapter 18 

Kiara POV

I lifted my head slightly to see Connor's sleeping face. His eyes mouth was set in a grim line, his jaw tense, looking like a menacing rogue even while he slept. Like he was always ready to fight. His arm was tightly secured around me protectively, and if he hadn't run his fingers gently through my hair for the past hour and a half I would've been scared of him. 

I watched him curiously as he slept, wondering how someone could be on high alert twenty four- seven. I studied the way his chest rose and fell steadily with his breathing. It was the only way you could even tell the boy was breathing, he was so silent. 

I brought my hand up to his face and traced his features, first starting at the top of his temple and trailing my fingers down to his strong jawline. My heart started to skip as I thought about how handsome he was. I pushed his feathery, light brown hair back lightly, which earned me a low, pleasure filled growl from my sleeping mate when my nails scratched his scalp. 

After I was done marveling at him I buried my face in the crook of his neck, just breathing him in. I couldn't believe that he wanted to leave the pack grounds right after my father announced we were threatened by hunters. It just didn't make sense to me. Does he have no care at all for his well being? He said it himself that he used to hate who he was because he was tortured for it. Maybe he just didn't care about what happens to him. The thought made me shiver and push myself more into his embrace. 

I couldn't lose him. Even knowing him for as short as I had, I knew that losing him would kill me. It wasn't just the mate bond; He was such a good person at heart and had the capacity to be so loving. I've experienced it first hand. 

Finally, he started to stir, and suddenly shot up in the bed as if forgetting where he was. When he realized that he was curled around me in his room, his muscles relaxed. He yawned and I tried not to wince as his back muscles popped as he stretched. He really needed to get out of this room. No one should have to live here. It was cold, run down, and was probably growing mold. He would get sick if he stayed in here. 

"I'm going to ask my dad if you can have a room on my floor," I said to him, causing him to give me a lazy smile. My heart sped up. 

"I kind of like it in here. It's got character," he said as he slapped the rickety nightstand beside him, causing it to crumble to the ground. 

I burst out laughing, scrunching my nose at the filthy place. "This room is a death trap." 

He shrugged and intertwined my hand with his. "I'm just lucky your dad let me be in your life, despite my past. I don't care where I have to sleep at night." 

I grinned and kissed him hard on the mouth, causing him to smile into it and bite my lip playfully. See? He could be so sweet when he wanted to. 

When I pulled away, I messed up his hair roughly with my hands. "You have bed head," I teased him.

"I think you fixed it," he joked and ran his hand through his hair a couple times to tame it. 

We sat there talking about nothing and kissing for what seemed like hours, until I finally had to bring it up. 

"So, my dad's probably figured out some safe running routes by now if you wanted to go." I looked up at him from under my eyelashes, praying that he wouldn't decide to risk his life. Although the routes were safely designed, it was risky to leave the pack boundaries regardless.