Chapter 37

Hello everyone ! Will keep this short and sweet because it's late af and wanted to just get this up tonight 

Song of the chapter is "I Can't Make You Love Me / Nick of Time" by Bon Iver 

Chapter 37

Connor POV

"Connor," Kiara breathed as she rushed over to me. She grabbed my hand with both of hers and held it to her cheek. I wanted so badly to brush my fingers down her face, to hook her hair behind her ear, to do anything, but my entire body felt super heavy and weird. My stomach felt like it was on fire, but I knew better not to mess with it. 

Our faces were inches apart, and I could stare straight into her grey eyes. They were quickly filling up with tears, and before I could say anything else she slumped over on the hospital bed and started to sob. My hand fell to the top of her head as she cried. 

"Connor," she sobbed again. "I thought you were gone." My heart stung painfully at the sight of her. She was trembling, and as I mustered the strength to move my hand to rub her back, I could feel the sharpness of her shoulder blades. She was heartbreaking to watch, but she was so beautiful. I wouldn't ever look away. She was still muttering something incoherent into the blanket, and I felt an ache in my chest that rivaled the bullet wound in my stomach.

"It's okay," I breathed, feeling frustrated that I wasn't able to say more. I felt winded as I said, "It's okay, baby." Sounded like I was drunk or something. She lifted her head to look up at me, eyes swollen and red. She grabbed my hand again and kissed all of my knuckles, then my palm, then placed it near her cheek once again. I could tell she was being fragile with me, but I wanted none of that. "C'mere," I said. If I couldn't have the strength to say what I wanted to right now, I'd fucking show her. 

She leaned in slowly, with caution, until she finally placed her lips on mine. Lightly, like she didn't want me to move an inch. I tangled my hand in her hair and pulled her closer, deepening the kiss and taking her by surprise. I think she finally forgot where we were for a minute, because she moaned in the back of her throat and gripped my bicep. Our mouths were moving in sync, and I thought, This. This is worth every minute of pain. 

When she pulled away, we were both breathing heavily. My hand dropped onto the bed on its own accord, and I sunk into the pillows. "Damn," I breathed. 

She chuckled, and I smiled, knowing I still could make her laugh. Even in this situation. 

I felt a little more clear headed than when I just woke up. "Kiara," I said. Her eyes filled up again, and I cursed myself for making her this upset. What had happened while I was out? "What happened?" 

"You don't remember?" she whispered. I shook my head. 

"I remember the fight. I remember that I was shot. By Saxton. How am I not dead? I remember I killed Nick because he..." I trailed off, recognition hitting me like a ton of bricks. "Nick - he shot Chase. Where's Chase, is he okay?" 

She didn't even have to say anything. The slump of her shoulders gave it away. "Oh god," I muttered. "No, that couldn't have happened. He was here, we talked, and-" I was so fucking confused. He was here.