Chapter 28

Hi guys!!!! Remember me? lol. Hope I still have some readers out there that haven't given up on this story... 

Not edited because I was too excited to post!! 

Here's a gif of Connor to hold you over until next time! 

Song of the chapter is "Nervous (The Ooh Song)" by Gavin James

Chapter 28

Kiara POV

My paws ached as they hit the ground each time, but the pain just drove me faster and faster through the woods. My wolf form was small and sleek enough to dodge trees and stay hidden in the forest, but I had to admit I was becoming weary. 

How could he have gotten this far out of town? I wondered. The only thing propelling me forward was the faint scent of Connor I could still catch in the air. The rest of my body was on autopilot as I focused on directing myself towards the scent. Though my heart was still shattered, I couldn't help but revel in what I could get from his scent. It made me think about how just hours ago he had held me so protectively and told me he loved me. I had buried my head in the crook of his neck and breathed in, reveling in his scent just as I was trying to do now. He'd chuckled and held me tighter. Just thinking about it made me almost stop and gasp for air. 

No doubt everyone back at the pack house knew I was gone by now. Was I an idiot? Probably. Would I get into loads of trouble when I got home? You can bet on it. But I needed to see him. I needed to get some answers and I wasn't going to get them from being locked in my bedroom with hot cocoa. 

Just as I was getting frustrated, the scent started to shift. I followed it to a clearing in the forest, all the way out until I reached a small town. It was then that I realized how much of an idiot I really was. 

Damn it! I shook my head. I had forgotten to bring clothes with me as I was rushing out. How the hell was I going to walk through this town in wolf form? 

Carefully following the scent, I came as close as I could to what looked like a diner. I sniffed against the window sill and I knew. He was inside. My heart flipped in my chest, and I just couldn't help it. I smiled. 

I was so confused. He was trying to kill me and my entire pack! I should hate him, but all I felt was a crushing grief. 

Huffing, my wolf body slumped to the ground in defeat. I was never going to be able to go in that diner. And Connor would eventually leave, and then I'd lose his scent and never - 

"Need some help?" 

I immediately jumped up on all fours, ready to attack. I stayed low, as Connor taught me during training, keeping my eyes on the target. 

She laughed, holding her hands out in front of her. "Hey, I'm just trying to help a girl out. You look like you need some clothes." 

I studied her. She looked a bit older than me, but it didn't seem like she was much taller. She was actually very pretty, with pale blue eyes and dusty brown hair. Almost same color as Connors.