Chapter 34

Hello lovely people! Don't really know what to say so I'll just get right into it. 

I'm so sorry for the lack of updates, but I'm back and really intend on finishing this story! 

Song of the chapter is "Daughters" by John Mayer. <3

Picture of Kiara down below!

Chapter 34

Kiara POV

"Keek." I felt a hand jostle my shoulder. Lightly, as if I would break at the slightest touch. "Keek." The hand swept over my back, causing me to stir. My bleary eyes stung as I finally woke up, raised my head and rolled out my neck. I winced at the audible cracks. I had slept slumped over again.

My breath caught in my throat as I opened my eyes to Connor's face. I was so close, I could kiss him on the cheek if I wanted to, like I have numerous times a day. It was always in these moments, the ones where I would just wake up and forget where I was, that my heart always seemed to break all over again. The pain felt fresh every morning, as I remembered that my mate was fighting for his life. 

It's been a little over a week since he was rushed to the hospital, dark blood pouring out of his side. A week since I heard his voice filled with pain, since I looked into his green eyes. I'll never forget how they looked wild in that last moment, sort of panicked and confused until the realization of it all hit and they immediately turned defeated. That look scared me so much. It brought tears to my own eyes whenever I thought about it. 

"Keek." I finally turned my head away from Connor to see Adrian. He was holding two steaming cups of coffee, holding one of the styrofoam cups out towards me. I took it gratefully and breathed in the smell of the slightly stale java. "Are you sure you don't want to eat something? Or go home and shower? You can come straight back after you get a couple hours of sleep." He was being gentle with me, but I could tell he was brought in by my parents to try and convince me to leave. Adrian was the only one I really talked to these days.

I shook my head. I couldn't leave Connor ... I just couldn't.  

"Kiara, I really think you should-" he started again, but we were interrupted by a piercing scream. 

"NO! RYAN, NO!" There were more wails and screams, and I almost wanted to cover my ears. I knew what was happening, it was another pack member gone. Another one of our pack fighters whose heart finally gave out from the poisoned bullets. It was another mate screaming in anguish as the love of her whole life was just gone. Ripped away. I felt her pain, I truly did. A tear slid down my cheek as her sobs rang through the whole hospital hallway.