Chapter Twenty-One

Chapter Twenty-One

Justin's voice became loud in the other room. I was about to drown out the noise but I remembered what happened last night.  I quickly got out of bed and forgot my foot still had glass in it. I covered my mouth trying not to let out a whimper. I walked over to the door limping.

"Why do you keep doing this!?" Justin yelled in the living room.

I tiptoed to the edge of the hall and stopped.

"I work my ass off for you and Savannah! The least you can do is give me the money to support you two." Dad said.

"Mom wouldn't agree to this!" Justin argued.

"Don't you ever mention her again," he threatened, "she's dead. She's dead, Justin!" He repeated.

"Savannah and I are leaving when I finish school. I've had enough of your bullshit." Justin whispered angry. He turned the corner and almost ran into me. He wasn't too happy when he saw me. "Get dressed; I'm taking you to the hospital."

I nodded and walked into the bedroom. I grabbed some clothes and went to the bathroom. I quickly took a shower and got dressed. I brushed my teeth and dried my hair. Justin knocked on the door as I threw the towel on the sink.

"Are you dressed?" He asked.

"Yeah," I said.

He opened the door and threw my sneakers down next to me. He handed me a pair of socks. "Hurry up, Savvy. I want to get out of here."

I leaned against the sink and put my socks on then slipped my shoes on. Justin walked into our bedroom and grabbed my sweatshirt. He took my hand and we walked through the living room quickly. Dad was sitting down drinking a beer and watching TV. Justin didn't take any notice as we headed outside. He gave me my sweatshirt and we got into his car. Justin certainly did not take his time pulling out of the driveway. Before I knew it we were headed down the road. I put my sweatshirt on in the car and zipped it up.

"I need to stop by Eli's real quick." Justin said.

"Why?" I asked.

He didn't answer me. I didn't ask again what he wanted. Justin pulled to the side of the road and unbuckled. I looked over to the beautiful house we were parked in front of. This is Eli's house? I should have known. Eli came out of the house and was shocked to see us.

"I'll be right back." Justin said and got out of the car. He ran over to Eli.

I rolled down the window to find out what they were saying.

Eli put his hands in his pockets and stopped in front of Justin. "Hey, what are you doing here?" He asked.

"Do you have a minute?" Justin asked.

Eli looked behind him at the door and back at Justin. "Yeah, what's up?"

"Okay, you might hate me for asking this," Justin said faintly, "but I'm going to ask anyway. Can I borrow some money?"

Eli took out his wallet. "How much do you need? Ten, twenty?" He asked taking some bills out.

"Two hundred." Justin said.

Eli stuck the money back in his wallet. "Why so much?" He asked.

Justin glanced over to me. "My dad found out I wasn't giving him all my money from work. I need to pay him two hundred dollars by tomorrow."

"Or what? It's your money." Eli said putting his wallet back in his pocket.

"He's going to kick Savannah out if I don't give it to him." Justin whispered. "The reason why I am asking you for an extra two hundred dollars is because I need to save my money for when Savannah and I leave. Our house is not a place I want Savannah right now."