Dancing With Strangers (14)

Quote: “The worst pain in the world goes beyond the physical. Even further beyond any other emotional pain one can feel. It is the betrayal of the one you love.”

When you're stuck in a room with nothing to do other than think, life is boring. There nothing I could do. I couldn't run away and my feelings were struggling between anger and hurt.

"Evelyn, you need to stop thinking too much," Shane said as he sat by my side. I looked up at him, thinking he'd gone mad and also, unwantingly, admiring the color of his eyes. Even though he had refused to help or was afraid to help, I knew he was kind. He was nice and even polite.

"I don't have anything else to do," I told him folding my arms.

"Well do something," he said.

Like what? Dance?

"Shane you remember the last time you showed me the Red garden?" I asked him. Shane had made me feel so welcome and I had been so nervous around him. All those feelings had vanished now. It seemed like I could only feel pain. I couldn't think of the last time I had smiled.

"Yes, I do. Why?" he said with a hint of mischief in his eyes.

"I want to go there. Please take me there?" I asked, desperation lacing my tone. 

Shane appeared to be in deep thought for a while and then nodded his head.

"Okay. C'mon but can you walk?" he said getting up.

"I think I can try," I whispered putting one foot on the floor. I wasn't sure if my feet would support me or not. I took Shane's hand and stood up. Even though every muscle in my body protested, I was now standing to my surprise.

"But what about Derek?" I asked Shane as I took a few shaky steps. I had grown extremely weak over the past month.

"He isn't here," Shane said opening the door and helping me step out.

There wasn't a soul in sight as we walked down the magnificent staircase. I looked up at the elegant chandelier hanging above my head, shimmering in all it's glory. Soon, we were outside and I was staring at the scene I had once seen before.

The red carpet of leaves at my feet stretched away out of sight. The redness was not disgusting like the blood from my dreams nor was it like the color of fire. It was the beautiful kind of red I would have liked to wear to prom; although my high school years were long gone.

Even though no wind was blowing outside, I still felt cold. Shane noticed this and wrapped an arm around me. I looked up at him and smiled. He grinned back at me. We slowly walked towards a tree of red leaves. I sat down on the ground, already worn out from my slight exertion.

"Evelyn, I'm not sure if I should ask you this but how did you end up here?" Shane asked as he sat down by my side.

Should I tell him?

"Well...it's a long story," I started running my fingers through my hair. Even though half of me was against it, I added,"I don't know if you know about Eric but he was my neighbor way back on earth. We were sort of friends and I was stupid enough to stumble upon a portal or gateway in his room," I finished thinking back to that one mistake which had changed my life forever.

"Room? Like a portal to dark dimension in his room?" he asked sounding shocked.

"Yeah. Why?" I asked.

"Nothing. It's not really common," he replied shaking his head.

"I know Eric," Shane said in a low tone.