The House Of Horror (11)

Quote: Sleep is temporary death and death is permanent sleep.   

"Eric," I called from where I was standing at the door. Eric didn't move, lost in his dreams.   I had woken up early as I always did due to my horrific dreams. I was standing in my shirt, my hair wet from the bath and my feet bare. 

Veronica was dead; if that's a harsh way to put it. It had been almost a fortnight since she had died. It was only me and Eric now in the house. Eric had proven to be a very understanding partner in the last few weeks. He never let me get bored, always talking. I knew I was in love with him but I hadn't told him yet. I never thought I could. I was confused and worried all the same. We buried Veronica in the backyard just by a bush of roses. My legs shook all the time as Eric buried her. It took me a long while to finally wrap my head around the fact that she was dead, gone from this world forever.

I didn't know her much but I was still sad. I couldn't sleep at night because the image of her dead body filled my mind every time I closed my eyes. It was horrible. It was like waiting for my own death in the middle of the night. I was getting used to the red sky by now even though I still sometimes yearned to go back home, see the blue sky and the bright stars.

Eric groaned as I whispered to him again making my way over to the bed, where he was lying. I jumped onto the bed, settling down beside Eric. I pushed his hair away from his forehead, softly.

"Good morning," I said in a happy voice as Eric opened his eyes. He gave me a small smile before grabbing me by the waist and jerking me towards him. For the first time in fifteen days, I felt better, alive and....less afraid.

"Morning," he said in a low yet sleepy voice. I kissed him, softly, my hands in his hair.

"You should get up now," I whispered as he broke the kiss. I rubbed my fingers over his bare shoulders. His eyes were sparkling in what little light was there. 

"Hmm."

"I'm hungry and if you don't get up I'm going to have breakfast without you," I warned him. Within seconds, I was on top of Eric. He grasped my chin and brought his mouth to mine. Somewhere in between the kiss he was suddenly on top of me. I broke the kiss, staring into his eyes. I giggled. 

"That is a beautiful sound," Eric smiled kissing my neck. I finally managed to drag him out of bed and down for breakfast. He seemed to be in a good mood. 

I kept remembering Derek's words which scared me. The dreams got more and more terrifying after that. It was just me and Eric now. But with every passing day my fears increased. Eric suggested we leave Veronica's home. 

"Why?" I asked him as he sat down on one of the kitchen chairs. 

"I just think we should leave. I mean we don't own this place. We can't stay here."

"But..okay fine," I said in a hesitant voice. I wasn't too sure. This place was safe, I supposed. I didn't want to go back to Shane even though he made me feel safe but he was a stranger after all.

"Where will we go? Home?" I asked him thinking of home. I felt homesick. I had been feeling it a lot for a few days but I didn't say it to Eric because I was sure he would get me to go back home. I didn't want to leave him. I had only known him for a few months and yet I trusted him. I just found myself trusting him even though I had a feeling I shouldn't.

I want to go home.

"Do you want to go home?"  Eric asked as if he had read my thoughts. I looked up at him. 

"I do but I don't want to leave you," I said rather meekly.

I would never in a million years want to leave you.