Love That Kills (15)

Chapter Fifteen

Quote:“Neither love nor evil conquers all, but evil cheats more.” 

"I was looking for you everywhere," Shane said as we entered my room. I sat down on the bed, sighing.

"Oh sorry I just-"

"Don’t worry. I'm glad you had fun," he smiled as he sat down beside me.

"I think I should probably go change," I said looking down at my dress.

"I think you look beautiful," Shane said in a genuine voice. I blushed, smiling at him and I suddenly felt nervous. Shane was a few inches away from him. I looked into his beautiful green eyes. We stared into each other’s eyes.

Even though he had refused to get me out of this place I still could not hate him. He was kind and had helped me. Even if I wanted to, I knew I could never hate him. He was dear to me, slightly more than 

necessary.

Why can't I love him?

I found myself unable to answer my own question. Shane had his hands on my forearms as we looked into each other’s eyes. The sound of the door opening brought us back to reality. We both looked towards the direction of the door where now stood...Derek.

A shiver of fear went through as I watched him close the door. He was dressed casually, looking tired. I was not pleased to see him. Shane's expression had not changed but I couldn't read the expression on his face.

"Oh what's happening here? Did I interrupt something?" Derek's voice came, teasing. I didn't reply because I was too afraid.

"Shane you can leave," Derek ordered with a shake of his head. Shane's eyes had darkened.

"No."

It was Shane who had spoken. I looked at him, wide eyed and surprised. He had never talked back to Derek in all the time I had been here. Derek looked furious.

Uh-oh.

"What did you say?" Derek asked, gritting his teeth.

"I said no," Shane told him in a confident voice. I was looking at him, impressed at his courage.

"I don't think you heard what I said. Get out."

"This has got to stop Derek."

Derek stared at Shane for a minute, his eyes dark and his expression deathly. My legs went weak.

"Get out Shane," he said as if trying to control his anger.

Shane looked at Derek for a moment before getting up, silently and left. I looked at him with fear in my eyes as he closed the door behind him, leaving me and Derek inside.

I looked down at my hands trying to ignore Derek's presence.

"So how did it go tonight?" Derek asked in a surprisingly soft voice.

"It was okay," I said slowly making an effort not to stutter.

"And the dance?" he asked again. I looked up at him. He was moving swiftly in my direction.

"It was fine," I said ignoring the image of the stranger who was most probably Eric that appeared in my mind.

"I think you deserve a punishment." I watched Derek in disbelief as he produced the so called thing he used normally to hit me with from his right hand. I immediately backed away, slowly as fear hit me.