Unexplained Mistakes (10)

Chapter Ten

Quote: When you look at the dark side, careful you must be...for the dark side looks back.

There wasn't a good reason I could think of. I had no idea and I couldn't imagine it. I wanted to forget him but I knew I couldn't. I had blocked him away from my mind for almost two years and now it felt like all that pain was back.

"Hey..are you okay?" I heard Eric's voice, worried. I hadn't heard him come but I was relieved. My knees were shaking and I hoped he wouldn't notice. Eric rushed to my side and bent down. He lifted my face with his hand, looking at me. His eyes were full of concern.

"I-I'm fine," I stuttered, trying not to look him in the eye. 

"I heard you sobbing, I thought. Are you hurt?"

"No. Let's go," I said desperately trying to change the topic and compose myself. I stood up taking Eric's outstretched hand. Eric didn't pursue the matter anymore even though I could tell he  was curious. I wanted to get out of this place as soon as I could. I wondered where Derek had gone. I was grateful when we were outside. I wanted to get out of here as soon as possible. 

I stared at nothing in particular as I sat on my bed. Eric was nowhere in sight and probably was not in a good mood because I'd heard him and Veronica quarreling again.

Why do they do that?

 I didn't want to overhear things again and get more tensed than I already was. He had a definitely noticed the red, visible and those which still hurt marks on my wrists but hadn't said a word. I had been sitting on one side of the bed since  I had returned replaying different memories in my mind. About what had happened in my life all those years ago and thinking about what I had done to deserve things.

Maybe I should have left. I had Eric to take me home and it was my only chance. The way Derek had talked about Eric made me feel like he knew him. He'd said "he can't love" those words were echoing in my mind again and again.

There was a knock on the door, distracting me from my thoughts and causing me to sit straight up.

"Come in, Eric. You don't have to knock." I muttered and Eric entered, looking tired. He was probably quarreling with Veronica again. I just didn't get it, there was something going on between them and they didn't want me to know what it was.

"I was just being polite," he smiled briefly as he took of his black leather jacket. It was a real smile, not a snarl twisted into something at the last second like in my dreams. His voice was light and I wondered if he were different than he seemed. Minutes later he was sitting on the bed a few inches away. 

"What's wrong with Veronica?" I asked turning towards him. He cocked his head to one side, making an annoyed face.

"She isn't feeling well, I guess. She isn't in a good mood. I'm sure she'll be fine," he said running his fingers through his hair. 

I'd like to do that.

"You still haven't told me what happened to your wrists," he said taking my right hand. He softly kissed my knuckles.

"I-uhh- well it sort of happened."

I didn't want to tell him about Derek. I just couldn't, I didn't know why but I just couldn't.

"Evelyn, please." Eric looked at me, disbelieving.

"Eric can we talk about something else? I don't want to talk about it," I said faking a yawn to indicate I was bored with the subject. That was  kind of rude but I just couldn't bring myself to tell him the truth.