Behind The Curtains (24)

One week later

I woke up to the sound of thunder. I jerked slightly at the loud sound of thunder slowly sitting up in bed. I brushed my hair away from my face. Eric was standing by the glass window staring at the storm outside.

Normally I would have loved this weather. But right now, I felt sick and horrible. I wanted to just hide somewhere in the dark, alone. My thoughts drifted back to mom's grave. I felt tears fill my eyes and quickly wiped them away. Eric turned and gave me a weak smile. The weather had been the Same for a week and I had not taken a step out of the room. I had hardly eaten anything and barely spoke. Eric was very patient but I wasn't sure for how long he would be.

I just didn't know what to do. I was still feeling guilty and it was something that was more than a burden deep inside of me. Shane had not arrived. Maybe he had ditched me after all. He couldn't wait around for me, he had a life ahead of him and I didn't. Even though I knew Eric had denied my decision I was still determined to do this something.

Eric walked towards me, taking small steps. He sat down beside me on the bed turning his attention to me. I felt conscious of myself all of a sudden. He brushed away a strand of hair from my forehead and tugged it behind my ear.

"How are you feeling?" he asked in a low voice as if not to startle me.

"I'm fine," I replied thinking how odd my voice sounded. It was hoarse and almost a desperate whisper.

"Are you hungry? I brought breakfast for you," he said watching me intently.

"No. I don't feel like eating," I whispered as my eyes caught sight of a paper bag on the coffee table. I felt sick and as if I could vomit. I had lost all of my appetite.

"Eve, you haven't eaten properly in days," Eric 's voice sounded annoyed and yet worried.

"I don't feel..like," I whispered. Eric found my hand and held it gently. I tried to force back my tears. I had to pull it together. I didn't have enough time to do that.

"Please just don't do this to yourself," he said caressing the skin of my hand.

"Eric, I don't know how-how to do th-this," I said desperately.

"Of course you do. Figure it out. You're not the one to blame."

"Eric I know you're blaming yourself for-" I was cut off by a knock on the door. Eric let go off my hands and glanced towards the door.

"Who could it be?" I whispered to him. The thunder was loud and I flinched.

"That will be Shane, I guess."

I didn't know what to say. I was so happy that he was finally here.

"Go on. He's here for you. Open the door," Eric ordered to me. I scrambled out of bed wiping a few tears.

Please let it be Shane.

I hurriedly walked towards the door wishing it would be Shane. I glanced at Eric who gave me an encouraging nod. I slowly opened the door. I felt satisfied all of a sudden. Shane had been with me at the toughest of times. I knew he would understand me. He smiled at me his hair wet from the rain. All I wanted to do was throw my arms around him and cry. And I did that. I threw my arms around a very surprised Shane. He hugged me back hesitantly. I couldn't stop the falling tears.

"Where were you Shane?" I whispered in his ear wiping away tears with one hand.

"I am so sorry. I just had some work to do." He said letting go of me.