Already Gone (29)

"You've changed me forever. And I'll never forget you."
― Kiera Cass

A rush of fear went through me as I saw Derek standing in the room smiling at me. I watched his faded silhouette by the window. I walked slowly towards him, I didn't even know why I was walking towards him, throwing the towel onto the bed and taking small steps. He didn't look any different just looked faded. There was a calming effect in the room that made me feel warm and light headed. 

Was this how it was supposed to be like when spirits visit you? Was he a spirit or a ghost? Not much difference I guess.

"Derek?" I whispered. Maybe he was here to take revenge for killing him. I shivered at the thought and Derek smiled again.

"Evelyn." Derek nodded his head. He looked controlled and peaceful.

"Why are you here?" I asked. My heart was beating faster in my chest. It was strange to think that I once loved this man. I used to think that there was no life after him but I never understood him completely. He was beautiful there was no denying that. When I looked at him now I felt like crying.

The way he was looking at me made me feel like he knew something that I didn't. He smiled at me for a brief moment sending chills along my back. He looked so much like Eric when he smiled like that.

"The night you tried to kill Eric. I stopped you," Derek said in a soft tone. I recalled the memory of the horrible night when I had tried to kill Eric. Something, an incisive force had stopped me.

"You? I don't understand..," I said taking a step towards him. I wasn't afraid of him anymore. Derek didn't reply, just watched me intently like he was trying to figure out something.

"I'm sorry for killing you," I said just as the thought came into my mind. I was going to die and I kind of missed Derek. I didn't know why. My head was a tornado of thoughts. I felt like I was going to have a nervous break down. What was happening? What had happened to me? How had my life come to this?

"Don't worry about it. I'm sorry for hurting you." It looked like he really meant it.

"I lied about not loving you," he continued, his words shocking me. I stared at him.

"I mean you're going to die. I just wanted you to know everything."

"Derek-" I started to say. I didn't know what to say.

"No. You don't have to say anything. I'll see you on the other side," he smiled at me.

"The other side?" I croaked out. I was starting to feel afraid.

"Yeah. It's for the best. Eric's right but there are some things you need to know. Ask Eric." His voice was deadly serious as was his face. He seemed to be fading out and I wanted to rush to him to try to make him stay. But I was rooted to the spot and my legs felt weak.

"Ask him what?" I croaked out. I felt like if I took another step I might just faint.

Panic attack.

"About the past. He has to tell you. Ask him." I was so confused and had no idea what he was talking about.

"Goodbye, Evelyn." He was just about gone now I could barely see him. I think he smiled at me once before he completely faded out but I couldn't be sure. I wanted to stop him and talk to him but I couldn't. I couldn't get the words out and I was confused. A tear dripped down my cheek. I sat down on the floor.

I stayed there for about thirty minutes until I heard the sound of foot steps approaching. It was Eric who was coming to check on me I was sure. I shuffled, getting up and immediately wiped away the remaining tears and headed downstairs to catch him halfway. He smiled up at me when he saw me.