It Gets Harder (5)

"The dark side clouds everything. Impossible to see the future is."

Finally I meet her. She must live here. But who would want to?

She was extremely beautiful with her curly brown hair. She was taller than me. Almost the same height as Eric but he must be taller than her. She smiled at me. And it was not a good smile but an evil smile. So all my dreams, everything belongs to this place.

"Who are you?" I said taking backward steps so that I would have a head start if I needed to run.

"Why, don't you recognize me?" The woman asked taking a step in my direction. Her purple dress was flowing behind her.

My eyes ran from one place to another, in search of something that might help me get away from this woman.

"Who are you? What do you want?" I asked, still taking cautious steps backwards.

"Didn't Eric tell you about me?" There was a menacing grin on her face.

"You know him?" I asked eyeing the woman.

"Tell me Evelyn. Why did you come back?"

She knew my name.

"Come back? What do you mean?"

"Oh so, you don't remember?"

I didn't know what to say. This woman was creeping me out. She knew too much about me. She knows my name and probably more about Eric. This place has a certain connection with me.

 All these dreams, everything in the dreams has a relation with this dimension and me. And maybe even Eric.

"I want to show you something," She said.

I'm in the middle of nowhere, stuck with a who-knows-what.

Great job, Evelyn.

"What?" I asked moving back a little too fast.

She didn't reply, just moved swiftly in my direction.

Then I ran. I turned around not taking notice of anything around me. I didn't care about the small animals at my feet or the rocks which cut my sneakers. But that woman was still following me. It was like she was gliding in thin air.

Then finally, tired, I stopped. I turned around to face her but she was no longer there. I was panting. I moved a step back, giving out a sigh of relief when my sneaker hit something hard.

I looked down to find a grave of some sort made of gold and priceless jewels covered in dust. They were shimmering from what little light of the sun was shining. It was the jewels that caught light and made me see the grave otherwise it was so covered in dirt, I would never have been able to see it.

I heard footsteps. I jumped around to find Eric behind me, a few feet away.

"Where have you been?" He asked looking furiously at me.

"Eric!" I blurted out before running into his arms.

"Try not to wander off again." he said casually with his arm over my shoulder.

"Did you see her Eric? The woman?" I asked to make sure I hadn't gone mad.

"Which woman?" he asked, blankly. I decided not to continue.

"Oh nothing. Random question. I heard boys get attentive when you mention a woman. It worked." I said giving out a small laugh.

Eric smiled. He looked really gorgeous in this dim light. I looked up at Eric. He was calm as ever. That guy would even be calm if he was stuck in a cage with a couple of hungry lions.

"Look what I found." I said pointing towards the half hidden grave.

Eric seemed tense but I didn't bother to ask why. I started to sweep the dirt of the grave with my bare hands to see if I could find a name on it.

"Have you gone mad? What are you doing?" Eric asked seeming surprised at my action. I didn't reply. I kept on flouncing the dust away.

Eric grabbed my hand.

"Get up. We're leaving." He said, crossly.

"What? No. Let's see who's grave this is." 

I stubbornly bent down again, removing some leftover dust. There on the white marble slab embedded with jewels, a name was carved. I froze when I saw the name. I sat there for what seemed like forever. Tears streamed down my cheeks.

I never cried.

I slowly got up, too stunned to say anything. I was traumatized. I turned around to look at Eric.

"Why is there..." I couldn't finish my sentence.

Eric looked into my eyes deeply. The expression on his face was a sad one. His eyes showed clearly that he was upset. He shook his head at me.

"Go to sleep Evelyn." He whispered coming closer to me. His voice was so commanding that I felt the need to close my eyes.

I closed my eyes. Eric lifted me up, bridal style, into his arms. I clung on tightly and lost consciousness.

That was a good thing for me.  Because I didn't know what to say or think after the shock I had received on seeing the name on the scenic grave which was behind me.

Because the name engraved on that grave sent chills up my spine.

Evelyn Carter.

A/N:

This chapter is dedicated to forgottenchildren who is a good friend of mine :)